Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to everyone here who helped me. I would like to give some info back.
I have a hemi so I needed 7 qts. of oil. Being a WWII aviation buff and history major, I swear by Marvel Mystery Oil although I scale back on the suggested amount since our engines are more efficient than the old radials our grandfathers used. At the auto zone by my house I found a special for $39.00 I was able to pick up 5 qts. of royal purple 5-20 with a k&n filter. I will show the steps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Congrats on not being an oil change virgin anymore!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl: Did you remember to put the oil plug back?:grim: JK!!! I have no opinion on the products you used since i've never bought them but i'm sure others will voice their opinion soon. Cheers!

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
WHY
Does it appear you are servicing your vehicle in a park like setting?

Just kinda makes me laugh.....like it's lunch time in the park uk uk.

Now that you popped the cherry you can read the oil bottles that tell you this proceedure causes cancer....I'm not kidding, read the bottle.

Regarding Marvel, we always considered it a mystery as to what it really does.
BTW rather familiar with round engines, help a friend service two Stearmans, one is a Pete Jones 450 H.P.
Those things don't do too much more than convert fuel and oil into noise....can't imagine them needing any upper cylinder lube, they do it fine by themselves LOL.

Anyways, good for you....all menfolk should get down and dirty every so often.

Rob

·
2,248 Posts
Now you just need a Fumoto Valve to make it easier next time.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live on 6 acres north of Chicago. Plenty of room and three Garages to use for the first time since I grew up in the city. Now is the first time in my life to have the ability to do such tasks.
Regarding the Mystery Oil, It was crucial when used in the larger radials like the P&W double wasp which put out 2,000 hp. That Engine powered the Corsairs and the Hellcats (Pretty damn good resume). It was crucial for lubricating the upper parts of the cylinder head and had a thinner viscosity which is a good thing no matter what engine you have. The flight crew for the T-34 Mentor aerobatic team I grew up around always used it in their engines (both plane and modern car). The team is called Lima Lima, you can google them and check out the web site, they know what they are doing (No, they are not sponsored by Marvel). I have several hundred hours in 300 sierra hotel and have survived pulling loops, snap rolls, hammer heads, and mock dog fighting. I have personally put those planes through 6 g's several times. Although I am no mechanic obviously, I do know when to take, and appreciate, as well as respect, and honor the advise of those much wiser than me in their chosen fields. It is safe to say that if the guys that maintained those planes (many of which are over 50 years old) trusted Marvel Mystery oil in the planes as well as their own caddy's and modern trucks, that I should take note. Could be in my head, but I noticed a performance increase in my Commander. Another point in it's favor is when I started to put it the gas on my Motorcycle, after two fill ups, The light varnish on my plugs disappeared. Last but not least, the cost is relatively inexpensive compared to the good types of synthetic oil, so it's win-win in my book.

I am new at this but I am damn good at listening to people I am convinced are knowledgeable.

I wonder if HueyPilotVN and a49erFan will have anything to add to this?

Attachments

·
2,248 Posts
I can always add something, might not be revelant but I am not shy about posting. We did not do many, (make that none) of those loops, barrel rolls, or any of that aerobatic stuff. We did dodge bullets, fly around and under trees,,,bridges....and could stop on a dime with a sideways flare and a lot of pitch. One day we kinda slid up next to a Duce and a half that was driving along a levee. We were pretty much at the same level as him. I got payback one day when a Phantom came from behind me and flew under me and pulled up right in front of me. Long ago and far away.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Ah yes.....one of the Mentor crowd hangars by me at Poplar Grove.
Several other warbirds and lately, two Russian Yaks.
Very familiar with Lima Lima.....although you say you are not a mechanic, are you an Aviator?
Although I have a fair amount of of aerobatic time in the Stearman and Citaborea, my primary time is plugging along in a Warrior II.

Lastly, if you are North of Chicago, you aren't far from Desplaines.....we might be neighbors.

Rob

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Good job NoobGoat. I only have one critique. Your yellow planes are pointed down. You are supposed to point them level. Other than that, good job. J/K.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just changed my oil in the Commander ('08 4.7 Sport) for the first time too. Was a little messy for my first time but got through it with not problem. Big thanks to all the forum members and their detailed posts! Filled with 6 qts. Mobil 1 5w20 Synth and a Mopar filter (MO-899) from Walmart. Spent around $32. That Fumoto valve sounds like a good idea. :headbang2:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Pep Boy's has the $29.99 oil change special going on... 5 qts of Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 oil filter... Us Hemi guys need to add some extra oil (as we need 7 qts).

·
Registered
362 Posts
This thread was VERY timely, so THANKS!!!!

I just changed my oil and filter for the first time at 1,500 miles today.

I dumped the OEM fill and installed a Fumoto valve (P/N F106N), along with a 12" length of 3/8" ID rubber fuel line, which I clamped on to the valve. The extra hose tucks up nicely above the skid plate until it is needed.

Removing the filter was difficult until I returned to Pep Boys and purchased a 93mm x 15 oil filter cap type "socket"... it slips over the top of the entire filter and you stick a 3/8" socket extension into it... this made it possible to remove and install the new filter. That was $6 well spent! Oh at Pep Boys, the oil filter cap type wrench is a "RitFit A252".

Now I have 7 qts of 5W 20 Mobil-1 in the Hemi... should be good to go.

With the Fumoto valve, next time should be far less messy!

As to finding the oil filter, it is on the passenger side just above and behind the sway bar. On the 2010 (not sure about others) there is a black plastic "spout" to direct the oil down from the cross member. This was helpful when draining!

Hope this bit of info also helps you guys out with the DIY oil and filter change.

Chuck

·
Registered
1 Posts
First post here - thanks for the pictures! - couldn't find that darn oil filter for the life of me...

oh...make sure your drain pan is big enough...7qts out does not fit in a 1.5 gallon drain pan! D'oh!

·
2,248 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts