Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got back from a 1689 mile ski trip from Oklahoma City to Durango.

Loved the trip..the Commander had a comfy, smooth, quiet ride. Loved the creature comforts. Nav worked great, Sat radio worked great, heated seats..oh yeah! We drove literally through the night on the way out there and the auto high beam feature impressed the hell out of me. It worked flawlessly!


We had smooth sailing untill we got just North of Albuquerque..then it started to snow....heavily. The low beams with the use of the fog lights worked great. I believe they are positioned almost perfectly.

I partially turned off the traction control system (as per the owners manual in snowy conditions) in order to disable some of the nannys that hinder operation in the snow. Once we got to Durango and started into the mountains to the resort, It had already snowed 12 inches. I have to say that I have driven 4 wheel drives for years now, and I was impressed by the Commanders performance in the snowy conditons. You have to TRY to loose traction! LOL

I had to open up a "can o Hemi" in the mountains...Hemi climbing power....oh yeah!

Gas milage was as follows..recorded at every top off.
#1 15.7 mpg (driving 75 mph in the windy plains of Okla and Texas..high winds)
#2 16.8 mpg (driving 75 mph into New Mexico..late at night low wind)
#3 19.2 mpg (driving between 40 and 60 mph in the snow, no real wind)(maybe this Multi Displacement thing does work in some cases..LOL)
#4 16.6 mpg (driving 45 to 60 mph in the mountains..back and forth to town and the resort over 3 days)(tow/hual mode turned on..only 4 gears..shifted manually sometimes)
#5 18.2 mpg (driving 80mph with a slight tailwind, fairly flat terrain)
#6 17.80 mpg (driving 80mph in New Mexico...low winds)
#7 16.6 mpg (driving 75 mph in the windy plains of Texas and Oklahoma..higher winds)

From my calculations thats 17.3 mpg for the whole trip. Not that it matters much to me but that isnt too bad..its better than what my truck was getting on the last 4 trips we took to Durango.
Normally I dont pay this much attention to the above information and conditions but I wanted to for the sake of posting up on this site for owners and prospective owners to use.

Oh, I also wanted to note that I hear alot of complaints about the small gas tank (20 gallons). I was wondering about how it would effect the number of my fill up stops. It turned out to be a non-issue....
My truck (F150) has a 24 gallon tank.....I filled up the Commander at the EXACT same locations and the exact same number of times as I did when I drove my truck in the past. Which also happens to be the same places we filled up at when we took my buddy's Suburban a few years ago...The Burb has an even bigger gas tank then my truck(30 gallon capacity from what I recall).....this tells me that the Commander was getting a LITTLE better milage than I was getting in my truck and a LOT better milage than we were getting in the Suburban.

So stop complaining people! LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Daytomann,
Sounds like a great trip with great performance... now that's what I like to hear. Gotta love all that power and good gas mileage in a less than ideal environment, sounds like it's breaking in. I too have seen my gas mileage improve, getting 15 - 16 mpg around town. I've got no reason to complain, people pay money for all kinds of indulgences, 15-16 mpg and counting causes me no pain. It's not a small car, and I wouldn't want one. Love that HEMI!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Daytomann said:
I had to open up a "can o Hemi" in the mountains...Hemi climbing power....oh yeah!
Amen to that. My ski trips are reason enough to justify the $1500 hemi option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Yes, it is me - the "complaining guy."
I've got the 4.7 V8 and can bearly make thru 200 miles on a tank of gas in the city - tops 240 miles on highway.
The official specs for Commander is 20.5 gallons and when the "empty light" is ON so far I could put max 18 gallons into the tank.
If your Commander has 24 gallon tank and you are getting 15-17 mpg, consider you just won a lottery. And I've got the "s..t end of a stick". That's how I feel. A couple of days ago I had to do 270 miles round trip and just could not do it on one tank while 90% of driving was on highway. When I mentioned it to Chrysler, they said that the gas tank info is publicly available and I have not done enough research before buying a car. The dealer said: What do you want me to do"? and "The mileage will get better". So far it is not getting any better and the gas tank is certainly ain't growing. I feel violated with this purchase. Other than that, once I put my mind away from that, it's an awesome car. Still trying to unprogram the stupid seatbelt bell ringer using the car manual instruction and it has not worked. There is an indicator on the panel and I don't need both the indicator and the bell.
Good luck, drive safely and god bless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Some of the better performance could be attibuted to the fact that you've got the Hemi and I don't. Good for you and too late for me. Nice to hear about good performance in snow though. Durango had to be awesome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
mikey said:
Yes, it is me - the "complaining guy."
I've got the 4.7 V8 and can bearly make thru 200 miles on a tank of gas in the city - tops 240 miles on highway.
The official specs for Commander is 20.5 gallons and when the "empty light" is ON so far I could put max 18 gallons into the tank.
If your Commander has 24 gallon tank and you are getting 15-17 mpg, consider you just won a lottery. And I've got the "s..t end of a stick". That's how I feel. A couple of days ago I had to do 270 miles round trip and just could not do it on one tank while 90% of driving was on highway. When I mentioned it to Chrysler, they said that the gas tank info is publicly available and I have not done enough research before buying a car. The dealer said: What do you want me to do"? and "The mileage will get better". So far it is not getting any better and the gas tank is certainly ain't growing. I feel violated with this purchase. Other than that, once I put my mind away from that, it's an awesome car. Still trying to unprogram the stupid seatbelt bell ringer using the car manual instruction and it has not worked. There is an indicator on the panel and I don't need both the indicator and the bell.
Good luck, drive safely and god bless.
Lets either buy a hemi engine or supercharge ours when the time comes. I def need more power:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Mikey,
You have complained a lot about the gas mileage on your commander, as you yourself realize. Clearly it makes you very unhappy. You might be a lot happier if you 'get over it', and accept it the way it is, or change it if you really can't stand it. You could get an additional gas tank (there are all kinds of places to accessorize your vehicle, including getting a new gas tank), or (god forbid) even get rid of the vehicle. Either way, you must know it's not going to change significantly by itself, and you might as well accept that no amount of complaining will change it (it only perpetuates your unhappiness). OR... you could love the JC for those things you love and accept it for the things you don't. Every vehicle is a trade-off. It's not a small fuel efficient car... it's a JEEP. Remember: Happiness is an an attitude fueled by our own perspective.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Well put Rocket, I guess I cant complain I have the v6 in my jc. That is what the wife wanted. She drives it and she is happy. I'm happy with my other suv even though the gas mileage in it stinks. maximo

maximo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
mikey said:
The official specs for Commander is 20.5 gallons and when the "empty light" is ON so far I could put max 18 gallons into the tank.
If your Commander has 24 gallon tank and you are getting 15-17 mpg, consider you just won a lottery.
Ooops, Mikey I think you misunderstood my post..Our Commander has a 20gal tank (like every other one..LOL) My truck (F-150) has a 24gal tank. (I've edited to make it more clear)

My point was that..even though the Commander has a smaller tank than my F-150, we stopped for gas at the exact same locations and the exact same number of times as when I have driven my F-150 in the past. So that just tells me that the Commander gets a little better mileage than my F-150 does on this trip. So the smaller tank was not an adverse factor for me.

And yes, we picked a great time to go, Purgatory (Durango Mountain Resort) had great conditions. It snowed 2 of the 3 days that we were on the slopes. It couldnt have been better!

Good luck with your vehicle!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
edlv said:
Amen to that. My ski trips are reason enough to justify the $1500 hemi option.
Oh yeah! and being able to manually shift through the gears is a big plus IMO. I couldnt do that in my F-150.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top