Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not advocate street racing, I do my real racing at the track in my 944, but I did a little 1st gear green light grand prix in the Commander with a Z06 Corvette tonight.
He pulled up beside me at the stop light and was revving his engine. I laughed and think to myself, ya right. But then I think, ok...isolated road, no other cars around, no high speeds.
Green light...I was shocked that I jumped out ahead of him and stayed a fender ahead until just before 2nd gear, then after that he started pulling away from me and I backed off...no high speeds! He saw me let off and he backed off too. I figured I just beat him on reaction and traction.
We stopped at the next light, same thing the second time. I guess it wasn't a fluke. So I guess we've got some bragging rights, the Commander launches harder than a Corvette! Unless of course, he was just toying with me.

·
Registered
444 Posts
That's funny as hell...LMAO! I love hearing that kinda stuff. Not that I encourage street racing, but it has it's times when it can be done safely. Nice to know we can take a Corvette in a 1 block race...lol.

·
Super Moderator
15,175 Posts
I do not advocate street racing, I do my real racing at the track in my 944, but I did a little 1st gear green light grand prix in the Commander with a Z06 Corvette tonight.
He pulled up beside me at the stop light and was revving his engine. I laughed and think to myself, ya right. But then I think, ok...isolated road, no other cars around, no high speeds.
Green light...I was shocked that I jumped out ahead of him and stayed a fender ahead until just before 2nd gear, then after that he started pulling away from me and I backed off...no high speeds! He saw me let off and he backed off too. I figured I just beat him on reaction and traction.
We stopped at the next light, same thing the second time. I guess it wasn't a fluke. So I guess we've got some bragging rights, the Commander launches harder than a Corvette! Unless of course, he was just toying with me.
You're right. I do it all the time. It's the 4WD (QDII) that gives it the head start.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
So I guess we've got some bragging rights, the Commander launches harder than a Corvette! Unless of course, he was just toying with me.
Cool!

I had an old 1 ton pick up with a 350, 4:56 gears and a detroit locker that could take just about anything off the line for a few car lengths as long as there was traction

·
Super Moderator
15,175 Posts
If you really want to get them do it on a wet road.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
And if you REALLY want to get them, get 'em in the snow!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Only "street racing" I've done in the XK so far is racing a new Tahoe filled with high school punks. They kept looking over at me at the red light, so I figured I'd give 'em a go... and smoked 'em. Ha.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Video or it never happened. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Great thread.

I have both (a 2007 Z06 and QD II Commander) and on launch of course, it's all about traction. I'm sure a QD II Hemi driver can beat the *average* Z06 driver in the first couple of car lengths or so. It's a real challenge to launch 505 HP, 2 WD and a clutch. Takes practice and coordination (which I'm in short supply of). I'm lazy and that's why I normally don't go to the drags with it and instead do some track days and autocross. QD II is so nice ... you just mash the throttle and let Jeep Inc do the work for you.

Both USA-made vehicles make me smile alot. :)

BTW, both vehicles can pull trailers and be used as a farm utensils. :) The guys at the garbage transfer station cracked up one day when I showed up with a trailer load of yard trash. (I use the trailer to haul race tires to the track)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nice Z Norm, love the color! :) I love my Z, I saved my money for 19 years just to find her. I would like to add a C6 Z to my collection but just can't justify it yet. I will retire from the AF next year and my oldest will be off in college soon after that. Son's education or new Z06? Tough choice, haha! I guess she will have to wait, just hope it's not too long.

Ever thought of putting some black rims on her?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks, but I like your color better. :) I had to wait till my kids were out of college and grad school before I could get get my dream car. I still remember when I was 6 years old seeing the very first 1953 Corvette and I've wanted one ever since. Gotta respect the long history of American brands like Jeep and Chevy. Long live Detroit!

·
Registered
283 Posts
BTW, both vehicles can pull trailers and be used as a farm utensils. :) The guys at the garbage transfer station cracked up one day when I showed up with a trailer load of yard trash. (I use the trailer to haul race tires to the track)

If you keep posting pictures like this the men in black helicopters are going to show up one night and take that car away from you. That should not be allowed. That's like driving to your honeymoon in a schoolbus.:)

·
Super Moderator
15,175 Posts
If you keep posting pictures like this the men in black helicopters are going to show up one night and take that car away from you. That should not be allowed. That's like driving to your honeymoon in a schoolbus.:)

·
Registered
473 Posts
when i was about 8-10 years old my dad was in a local corvette club and owned a 70 convertible 350 4-speed. he then bought a '67 427.
my most potent machine was my '69 chevelle, 650hp 454, 4.56 9-inch, thm-400, 4500 stall ATI convertor with 10" slicks. the best it ran was 11.69 on about 6 1/2 cylinders:mofo:. i had a roller cam and broke the link bar and it wiped 2 lobes off the cam and i left a plug loose. it should've ran 10.70-10.90 but it was a fresh motor and after that fiasco i yanked it out and threw a mild 327 in it. ran 12.70 with that. would beat anything in a straight line but sucked in the corners.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My son (when he was alive) and I used to say, "too much horsepower is not quite enough". :) That Chevelle sounds like a beast! Way back in 1970 I had a friend with a dark green '70 Vette convertible with a 327/300 HP auto and I was amazed at how it moved. What fun!

Ok guys, I promise I'll be more careful not to evoke the ire of the men in black helicopters ... ya think they'll give me a pass if they see this? .... I have to keep my car locked or else people like this will get in and sit in it:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have Mercy!

I'm going to go unlock mine right now!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Those seat covers should be standard equipment.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I'ld keep in unlocked!

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I think I'll move to America...bring the Jeep with me and disable them there lock things!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
And if sitting IN it isn't bad enough, then they go and sit ON the car! What's a guy to do?!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts