Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my Jeep Commander. For more than a year I drove it in shame with its OEM low profile Fortera-Femininity. Driving the stock Commander made me shrink in my seat at red lights. It brought back memories of when I had to drive a neon green Volkswagen Beetle as a loaner-car. Just when I thought I was going to have to seek psychiatric help, I made a desperate call to Rough Country and ordered a lift. Then I lucked up on a set of tires. [removed]. Please see the pics.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Much better!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Congrats on the manly Commander.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
That is a very nice looking Commander, welcome to the club of lifted XK's

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
What brand/size tires? They look good and I have the same lift on the way...

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Looking good. The stance is much more authoritative now.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Looks great Barry. Congrats man. That's definitely next for mine.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
What brand/size tires? They look good and I have the same lift on the way...
They appear to be the Rubicon tires: 255/75R17 BFGoodrich Mud Terrain

·
Registered
40 Posts
Now that is what a Commander is supposed to look like! Congrats, by the title of the thread I thought she'd been keyed or side swiped. Thats what I said after my exwife keyed my Exploder.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Yeah, that's more like it. Good job.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same color as mine, but I'm still riding stock. Yours looks good--subtle--nothing too crazy. How much lift, what size are the tires and how much $ all together for the job?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Now that is a manly commander! Looks nice...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You nailed it right on the head 07! Good call! AND I paid $135ea mounted and balanced.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, thanks to everyone who complimented my XK! I couldn't be happier. It's a Rough Country 2" leveling kit, which I highly recommend for price and quality. Made in Dyersburg, TN. Steel, not polyurethane, so no sagging. $149.95 directly from topguncustomz.com. The tires are BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM 255/75R17 112/108Q Load range C. Paid only $135 per tire from a local shop. I actually found them online at tires-easy.com cheaper than that at the time, but it was worth paying a smidge extra to support a local business, plus they rotate them for life.

Let me get on my soapbox for a minute or two about buying tires online. Yeah, you may find the tires of your dreams on one of these sites for what appears to be a ridiculously low price, and you may not have to pay sales tax on them. Great, but then you have to pay close to $25/tire to have them shipped. Then, you have to find a shop to mount and balance. There goes another $50 or so plus tax. So, go ahead and figure in another $150 on that "awesome" online price. I guarantee you there's a guy out in your area hustling and grinding to earn all the business he possibly can who will sell you that $200 online tire that still requires to be shipped, mounted and balanced, mind you, for $255. But his price INCLUDES shipping (it's already there!), mounting and balancing! So, in essence, your $200 tire suddenly becomes a $237.50 tire while your local guy is chomping at the bit to earn your business for just a few dollars more?! Hell yes, I say! Buy locally from an independent dealer. I paid around $70 more grand total, not per tire, and I feel a helluva lot better for it. Not to mention I knew I was getting a NEW tire, not new old stock from a warehouse in God only knows where that could have been sitting in there for God only knows how many years dry rotting away.

Stepping down from my soap box. Thanks again for the kind posts!

BarryG

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Looks great! Any rubbing issues? How's the noise on the road? However, I don't think any Commander has "earned" its stripes until it takes some natural pin-striping.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
422 Posts
Nice XK...Where are you trail riding looks like a nice place.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts