Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , looks like a great forum here. I stumbled upon it after I bought my 2006 Dark Khaki Commander

Anyway. I have been loving it , but I noticed that the compass readout on the dash is not always correct. For whatever reason it will almost never give a North reading. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. Probably time to take it to the dealer to check things out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Madwatch said:
Hey guys , looks like a great forum here. I stumbled upon it after I bought my 2006 Dark Khaki Commander

Anyway. I have been loving it , but I noticed that the compass readout on the dash is not always correct. For whatever reason it will almost never give a North reading. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. Probably time to take it to the dealer to check things out.
If you want to possibly save a trip to the dealership, there is a procedure to recalibrate the electronic compass outlined in the owners’ manual. I would try that first, it may fix it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hold down the CT button for about 10 seconds and it should display a number, 8 is the factory default and the compass variance for Detroit. Press the step button until it changes to the right setting for your area, ther should be a map in the owners manual showing the variance for the different areas. Holding CT even longer should get it to start flashing CAL, which is calibrate. Drive in very slow tight circles until it goes away and you should now be calibrated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the responses - I will give that a try. I bought mine slightly used and for whatever reason it did not come with the owners manual. Im going to see if I can pick one up on ebay. Im glad I went with the Dark Khaki. I have owned a black jeep in the past ( 81 Jeep CJ7 Laredo ) and my last truck was red so this color is perfect.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
The owners manual in my Overland is 146 pages long. Came in a nice green canvas bag. Since its really thick maybe its just not in your glove box. Have you looked everywhere, mine is in the tool box thingee in the back of the jeep. Maybe its under the seat? john

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I calibrated it to region 6 and that did not fix the issue. Then I did the manual calibration and that worked great. Now I can find my way home! :D

Thanks for all the help guys. Im going on a camping trip in May... cant wait to get this thing off road.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good choice of color! Mine's a dark khaki '06 too.

If you want to drive North, I think you will have to buy a new Jeep Compass :D j/k. No. mine has no issues with the directions.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My Compass works fine, but the temperature reading has been very slow to climb to an accurate temp. Started out yesterday morning and it read 28 degrees (Outside temp probably was 45 or so) it stayed at 28 degrees for about 15 minutes into the trip when it started to go up slowly to about 42 (close enough I suppose!) - anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
184 Posts
prudemonkey said:
My Compass works fine, but the temperature reading has been very slow to climb to an accurate temp. Started out yesterday morning and it read 28 degrees (Outside temp probably was 45 or so) it stayed at 28 degrees for about 15 minutes into the trip when it started to go up slowly to about 42 (close enough I suppose!) - anyone else have this issue?
I have not had that issue but I notice there is a TSB out relating to what your issue is (if your Commander is a 2006)...

http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_0800506b.pdf

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey thanks! That looks like it may be it. That will be a good time to have them turn on the side view mirror turn down option as well!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts