Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow is install day for the Rusty's 2 inch lift, 1.5 inch Spidertrax wheel spacers, and Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor 255/75R17s.

Here's some before pics. Sorry the XK is so dirty. I took these a few days ago. I even washed her today and was going to redo the before pics but by the time I got home, it didn't seem worth it. That's life in Michigan in the winter.... you gotta take the good with the bad.

I'll post after's either tomorrow or Friday depending on how dark it is when I get home.:eek:rangehat:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,105 Posts
Tomorrow is install day for the Rusty's 2 inch lift, 1.5 inch Spidertrax wheel spacers, and Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor 255/75R17s.

Here's some before pics. Sorry the XK is so dirty. I took these a few days ago. I even washed her today and was going to redo the before pics but by the time I got home, it didn't seem worth it. That's life in Michigan in the winter.... you gotta take the good with the bad.

I'll post after's either tomorrow or Friday depending on how dark it is when I get home.:eek:rangehat:
I like how it matches the door and shutters on the house.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a couple more before shots. I'm trying to get the height of the rails front and back as well as the side shot.

Btw, if you notice something that looks a little weird on the picture taken front to back, there's a little bit of my daughter's tire sticking out from behind my XK, she is parked behind me in the picture, and she has her wheels cranked out.

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
That is exactly what I am planning on doing as soon as I can afford it. I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished project tomorrow. Good luck and happy wrench turning.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Nice looking GP, I hope we can go offroading now! May sure you bring a tow strap so that you can pull me when i get stuck. I will try to bring the pink elephant. LOL

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
congrats on the lift. can't wait to see the pics.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice looking GP, I hope we can go offroading now! May sure you bring a tow strap so that you can pull me when i get stuck. I will try to bring the pink elephant. LOL
Now, wait a minute Drako. Last time we talked about this, you said YOU were going to bring the tow strap. What's the deal? ...Oh, I see you are bringing the pink elephant...never mind... pink elephant is enough to bring.:stickpoke::elephant::elephant::elephant:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I have a problem. I have a 4x4 shop doing the installs. They put the lift on, put the spacers on, mounted the tires (255/75/17's) and they called me and said they will rub too much. I'm not there so I can't check but I told them to trim some of the plastic wheel liner and bend or hammer the pinch welds down and they are willing to do that but they say it will rub way too much even then. They have worked on WK's and many Jeep Wrangles but this is their first Commander.

Now I'm not sure what to do. Ross at GetLost4x4 is running 255/75/17's and his worked after hammering down the welds. I have the the '07 Hemi Limited so maybe the stance on mine is a little lower.

I've got to give my installer an answer first thing in the morning because I'm tying up his lift right now.

Ideas?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I also am running 255/75/17's and didn't have to do any of the pinch weld bending that others had to do, I only trimed the front of my wheel well because it is not needed with the new bumper.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also am running 255/75/17's and didn't have to do any of the pinch weld bending that others had to do, I only trimed the front of my wheel well because it is not needed with the new bumper.
Thanks 49er. I wonder if the guys doing my install got cold feet. This is their first Commander and they might be a bit tentative about trimming and hammering. I'm going to go out there first thing in the morning and see for myself. I sure hope I can make this work.

·
Super Moderator
15,105 Posts
49er and GetLost have 4" lifts and your's is a 2". Maybe that is the difference.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,105 Posts

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
i sold the 2" lift to him.

i only had 2" lift when i put those tires on as well.

i still only have 2" of lift with 255/75/17. i hammered the pinch welds in.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been researching forum posts about 255/75/17 tires and related posts. The more I read, the more I'm thinking that these can be made to fit. I printed pictures and other notes and taking them out to the installers tomorrow morning. I think they are just concerned about their first Commander job and afraid of cutting the plastic back and hammering the pinch weld. They might think that I would freak if they did that.

I'll let you all know how this comes out.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Good luck... take a few pics while it's on the lift too... and of course when it gets on the ground.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Keep us informed of your progress. I have those same tires sitting in my garage and trying to decide which of the ~2 inch lifts to get. It sounds like even the difference between a 2 inch vs. 2.5 (RR) might make a difference? Also, what size spacers are you using - 1.5?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts