Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just got my truck back from the dealer and it looks pretty sweet. They installed the Rough Country 2" lift and a set of 265/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S's. They installed this WITHOUT spacers and only have a SMALL ammount of rubbing on the rear portion of the fenderwell towards the center of the vehicle at the bottom on the passenger side at full lock turning right. Other than that, no rubbing at all when at full lock turning left. (Hmm, why only on one side????) Anyway, I think the spacers would definately make the stance look better, but it doesn't look too bad as is and I won't HAVE to put them (spacers) on to fit the tires. I will post up a couple pics tomorrow after I get home.
Would you guys trim/heatgun mod the fenderwell or just leave it? Can it HURT anything other than my nerves? (lol)

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Have you looked on the inside of the front to see how close the tire is to the upper control arm stud?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you looked on the inside of the front to see how close the tire is to the upper control arm stud?
Yes, I don't know much about that stuff, but I can get a finger between it. They told me that that assembly (tire, that stud, etc.) all moves together and that it would not cause any trouble. I hope he knbows what he's talking about, lol.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I would definately check the ball joint bolt that CrzCajun mentioned to make sure you have enough clearance between it and the tires. Last I knew 265's were to wide and would rub it but I guess it depends on the tire. Also I just installed 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's w/Kevlar and used a heat gun to mold the plastic inner fender well and it worked great. I bent over the pinch weld too for extra clearance. With wheel spacers you have to do that since the wheel sits out wider. I have no rubbing what so ever with 1.25 inch spacers. My tires are also 1/2 inch taller then normal 265/70's.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would definately check the ball joint bolt that CrzCajun mentioned to make sure you have enough clearance between it and the tires. Last I knew 265's were to wide and would rub it but I guess it depends on the tire. Also I just installed 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's w/Kevlar and used a heat gun to mold the plastic inner fender well and it worked great. I bent over the pinch weld too for extra clearance. With wheel spacers you have to do that since the wheel sits out wider. I have no rubbing what so ever with 1.25 inch spacers. My tires are also 1/2 inch taller then normal 265/70's.
How do you get to that pinch weld? What do I have to take off, lol? Also, on that bolt.... has anyone ground off, say, half of that area of it that you'd use a wrech to secure it to loosen/tighten the nut? (Sorry, I'm not very mechanically inclined)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 265/70 Cooper STs wouldn't fit without spacers.
That is oddhow the same size tires sometimes actually measure differently. I told them I didn't think they would fit either b/c of all the posts I've read here, but they insisted they would. I looked underneath and can get a finger between that bolt and the tire....they said that was enough.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
That is oddhow the same size tires sometimes actually measure differently. I told them I didn't think they would fit either b/c of all the posts I've read here, but they insisted they would. I looked underneath and can get a finger between that bolt and the tire....they said that was enough.
It has to do with side lugs and how far they stick out.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys know what? I recently had my drivers side strut changed and THAT is the side that is NOT rubbing whatsoever. Great, so that means my truck must be leaning to one side, lol.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
How do you get to that pinch weld? What do I have to take off, lol? Also, on that bolt.... has anyone ground off, say, half of that area of it that you'd use a wrech to secure it to loosen/tighten the nut? (Sorry, I'm not very mechanically inclined)
I just drilled out all the plastic rivets that hold the plastic inner fender well in and bent over the pinch weld with a big hammer. I then sprayed over the pinch weld with rubberized undercoating and then reinstalled the fender well lining with new plastic rivets from napa. We used a heat gun to re mold the plastic fender well so it wouldnt rub. It looks perfect now and i didnt have to cut the plastic fender well like a lot of the other guys did.

You can trim the ball joint bolt down some but might need to use an impact on the ball joint nut if you ever have to get it off since you really wont be able to get a wrench on it anymore.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just drilled out all the plastic rivets that hold the plastic inner fender well in and bent over the pinch weld with a big hammer. I then sprayed over the pinch weld with rubberized undercoating and then reinstalled the fender well lining with new plastic rivets from napa. We used a heat gun to re mold the plastic fender well so it wouldnt rub. It looks perfect now and i didnt have to cut the plastic fender well like a lot of the other guys did.

You can trim the ball joint bolt down some but might need to use an impact on the ball joint nut if you ever have to get it off since you really wont be able to get a wrench on it anymore.
That sounds simple enough. Thanks. I hope it goes smoothly. Like I said, I am not very mechanically inclined, haha.
Anyone know anyone that knows anyone in the Houston area that might wanna make a couple bucks doing these mods?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
It only took me and my brother about an hour or so to do everything with the pinch weld. Its really easy. Just go to a napa parts store prior and get the correct plastic rivets that hold in the plastic inner fender well. The dealer wants $5.95 for one. There are about 18 or so all together between the driver and passenger side so youd be paying about $100 through the dealer. Napa sells a box of 20 for like $7

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It only took me and my brother about an hour or so to do everything with the pinch weld. Its really easy. Just go to a napa parts store prior and get the correct plastic rivets that hold in the plastic inner fender well. The dealer wants $5.95 for one. There are about 18 or so all together between the driver and passenger side so youd be paying about $100 through the dealer. Napa sells a box of 20 for like $7
I'm not so concerned with the pinch welds at this point as I seem to have plenty of clearance there now with the stock wheels without spacers. What concerns me is that bolt and this piece of metal that extends downward the sort of in a semi-circle. I can almost get a finger between the tire and the bolt and the guys who put the tires on swore that that bolt would never meet the tire....that some of the setups they do they can barely get a sheet of paper between. I dunno....I really am afraid of the maintenace/safety/possible problems with the spacers and I kinda like the stock wheels. The stance isn't too bad looking at all as is right now, also with that size tire. That piece of metal I took a hand held mini-type sledge to and bent it back/under a tad which did in fact help out with the rubbing a little, as I think THAT is where MOST of the rubbing I was experiencing was comning from. I am bringing it back to Jeep tomorrow (the shop foreman is the guy who did my lift after hours) to see if they can do something with that bolt that WON'T void my warranty or cause them any liabilty issues. Do you guys think they will have any issues modding that bolt?
Also, I seemed to have fixed the fender well rubbing. I drilled a small hole in the plastic in the bottom-back corner and threaded a larger nylon zip tie trough that and a hole in the frame and pulled it tight. It pulled back the plastic at least an inch...all the way to the hoses behind it. And as I said earlier, I have no rubbing at all on the left side anywhere.
All in all I really like the way it looks as is and hope they can do something with that bolt. I'm hoping Jeep can do something with that sheet metal/bolt situation. As is, I have no issues whatsoever unless I take an all-the-way locked right turn which is actually very seldom. I am hoping driving on trails doesn't make the problems present themselves any more though. The OCD in me is driving me nuts though, lol.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Still don't see any pics being posted!!! Lift and tires don't exist until we actually see pics to proove it!:stickpoke:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Let us know what the techs say at the dealership. But all in all, I think you might be worrying a bit much. Now don't take offense, Danny but here's some homework. Where is this quote from? "Cowards die a thousand deaths. The valiant taste of death but once."

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Still don't see any pics being posted!!! Lift and tires don't exist until we actually see pics to proove it!:stickpoke:
Haha! I see how it is here! ;) I will get a couple shots. It is raining here but I will present said proof of lift soon. Also, the Jeep shop foreman cut the bolts down to the threading for me. If HE did that, I suppose he thought it was ok and wouldn't cause issues. I will also get some pics of my plastic fender well/ziptie contraption, lol. Hey---I didn't have to cut any of it, haha.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Let us know what the techs say at the dealership. But all in all, I think you might be worrying a bit much. Now don't take offense, Danny but here's some homework. Where is this quote from? "Cowards die a thousand deaths. The valiant taste of death but once."
Shakespeare, right? ;)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

As promised:

....and pics of my to avoid cutting, zip-tie contraption, lol. Hey...it orked, haha. The camera focussed in on the tire instead of the tie in the first pic. I' sure there is a setting to fix that, but my wife is the camera-meister...not me.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts