Jeep Commander Forum banner

My New Commander Came with No Keys!!

Tags
key keyfob keys
1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Big Blue 
#1 ·
Ok so that's not entirely true, it came with a copy ("ilco" brand) but its the kind that has no buttons. So, as I've read on here and YouTube researched, I can program my own keys, which is awesome. However, if I understand correctly, I still need an actual working keyfob to make this happen.

So, you see my dilemma. I have no master to make a slave/clone key.

Now, I figured the dealer is my only option here; however, my questions to you guys are as follows:

Can I buy an oem style keyfob blank on Amazon, have a locksmith cut the key out for me and I just program it at home on my own?

Potential (perhaps obvious) problem I foresee would be
  • the copy key, although appearing to have a chip in it that starts my car now and or having the ability to be programmed to do so, can not program an oem style keyfob with the buttons

If this won't work, could I just have a good locksmith do it all for me (provide the oem style keyfob, cut the key and program 2 new keys for me? (Have a locksmith saying he can fwiw)

Or, am I stuck with the dealer option?

Hope I explained my situation well enough and that someone out there has some insight.

Greatly appreciated in advance!

Hope everyone's having a great weekend so far!

Note: dash warning currently reads something like "key battery low"

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Ok so that's not entirely true, it came with a copy ("ilco" brand) but its the kind that has no buttons. So, as I've read on here and YouTube researched, I can program my own keys, which is awesome. However, if I understand correctly, I still need an actual working keyfob to make this happen.

So, you see my dilemma. I have no master to make a slave/clone key.

Now, I figured the dealer is my only option here; however, my questions to you guys are as follows:

Can I buy an oem style keyfob blank on Amazon, have a locksmith cut the key out for me and I just program it at home on my own?

Potential (perhaps obvious) problem I foresee would be
  • the copy key, although appearing to have a chip in it that starts my car now and or having the ability to be programmed to do so, can not program an oem style keyfob with the buttons
If this won't work, could I just have a good locksmith do it all for me (provide the oem style keyfob, cut the key and program 2 new keys for me? (Have a locksmith saying he can fwiw)

Or, am I stuck with the dealer option?

Hope I explained my situation well enough and that someone out there has some insight.

Greatly appreciated in advance!

Hope everyone's having a great weekend so far!

Note: dash warning currently reads something like "key battery low"
I may have a solution for you that would cost you nothing but some of your time; You have the same Model Year & Trim package that I do;

Have you had the P57 Safety Recall completed on your Commander yet? The P57 safety recall replaces the factory ignition switch with a new one, which includes a brand new set of Key Fobiks, free of charge;

You can check to see if all of the factory recalls & campaigns have been completed for your Commander by clicking on the hyperlink below & plugging in your VIN;

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

The difference between a safety recall and a campaign is this; a safety recall pertains to a vehicle problem that is a safety concern; a campaign is a vehicle problem that is not a safety concern, but, pertains to customer satisfaction.

I'm also attaching a copy of the P57 recall notice to this post for you.

Attachments

#3 ·
You sir, have just blown my mind.

Thank you for this. Gonna schedule the service

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.