Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to everyone on this forum. Your overall positive comments (yeah, I know you are prejudiced) on the Commander helped push me past my indecision and I finally made the move. I bought a new inferno red Limited with the Hemi and just about every option. I would have preferred not to have to pay for the entertainment option since only my dog will usually be in the rear and I did not need the OWL tires or even the navigation system but the vehicle was available and I think I got a fair deal, especially considering the 60 month 0% financing. Unfortunately, to be able to afford it I had to trade in my '03 Rubicon. But I really like this Commander so far. This is my sixth Jeep. I also still have a GC.

I located this vehicle by searching dealer inventories on Jeep.com. I found three like I wanted within 300 miles and this one turned out to be the best deal. I did all the negotiations via telephone and then drove 200 miles and completed the trade. One of my most pleasant and smoothest vehicle purchases.

On my first tank of gas I drove 216 miles, used 14.3 gals. for a 15.1 mpg average. Most of the miles were on a generally flat interstate (I-10 Houston to San Antonio) at night, temperature in the high 40s, fairly strong crosswind from the north, cruise control set on 65. 65 is the night time speed limit on that road. I normally will be driving faster than that but wanted to drive reasonably, especially with the new engine. I filled the tank at 216 miles when I got home only because I wanted to start out with a full tank the next day. I think the guage showed between a quarter and a half tank left.

I have read about Mikey's dissatisfaction with his mileage. I don't know which engine he has but I really believe that I will be refilling my tank at closer to 300 miles than 200 miles. However, as someone stated, it is how you drive more than which engine you have. I expect my mileage to be about the same as I get on the GC with the 4.7 and the same 20.5 tank. Both have Quadra-Drive. Mikey might need to check and make sure he does not have a dented gas tank. A dent can take up a lot of capacity.

I really like this Jeep and am looking forward to travelling in it to New Mexico, Colorado and Utah in about another month.

Drive safe.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That's awesome news to hear Sama:) I take it you like traveling alot:D

·
Registered
160 Posts
samax8. Welcome to the forum. Nice to here your negioations went well. When you get a chance post pics. maximo

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks for mentioning my name. Dented gas tank? That would be something wouldn't it? My mileage still sucks the way it did. When I'll get to 2000 miles or so (soon) I'll post the real fill-up mileage and distances. So far 236 miles is a record for me on 4.7V8 and this happens on mostly highway driving. In a city it is mostly 200. With resetting the gage on highway it shows 16 mpg but it never happens when it comes to a fill-up. The most gas I could put in the tank is 18 gallons and that is from full to empty until the light comes on. There must be either 2.5 gallon reserve or 2.5 gallon dent. There could be another dent - somewhere in the heads of the idiots who put this gas tank on a car this good.:mad:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Congrats Samax8 on your new Commander, you are one of us now!!!:D :cool:

O btw Mikey (this is for fun), A car is a car! and A Jeep is a Jeep. But a Jeep should never be called a car. ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mikey, I agree with you that this Commander would be much better with a 25 gallon gas tank but I doubt it will happen. Jeep either does not get enough complaints or they do not know how to make a larger tank. My first Jeep was a 1986 Grand Wagoneer with a 5.9L V8 engine, 3 speed auto trans, Selec-Trac 4WD, and a 20.3 gal. gas tank. I loved that vehicle except for one thing... at about 9mpg I could not make it to the next city on a tank of gas.

My current '99 Grand Cherokee has a 20.5 gal. tank. My '03 Wrangler Rubicon had a 20.5 gal. tank. It seems that is all they use. Good luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
samax8 said:
My '03 Wrangler Rubicon had a 20.5 gal. tank. It seems that is all they use. Good luck.
Actually, your Rubicon has a 19 gal. tank. Unless, you have changed it out for some sort of an aftermarket tank.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I stand corrected. My memory lets me down occasionally. I no longer have the Rubicon but I dug out the old window sticker and it says 19 gal.

Funny, I have never felt a need for a larger tank except on the Grand Wagoneer. It led me to buy a truck with dual tanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
ranger31 said:
Actually, your Rubicon has a 19 gal. tank. Unless, you have changed it out for some sort of an aftermarket tank.
Yore the man!! you know your stuff:)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Nice move on the new commander. The red is gorgeous. You will learn to love the options you didn't care about, except those OWLs. Change them out for some MT/Rs and we will be hot to trot.

I also agree as does my little boy, a Jeep is not a CAR!!!! LOL

EDIT: Add some pics!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts