Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this post is in the right section.

I have an older Innova 3100e reader - maybe 10-14 yrs old - it reads engine codes ok -has helped me in the past. Recently I had the Service 4wd system error on the dash - took it into the mechanic - said he read a few codes from the transmission - worn 4wd clutch etc - he cleared the codes and the msg went away - he checked all the electronics & told me all is good - and if it happens again to come back. My Commander is a 2006 about 280K km on it. The Service 4wd system code is back - but when I use the above reader it shows no codes - why can't I see and clear the codes like my mechanic can with his reader ??? I've looked for updates for my 3100e and there are none - do I need to get a more up to date reader ?? any help or advice is appreciated.

·
Administrator
7,992 Posts
Hope this post is in the right section.

I have an older Innova 3100e reader - maybe 10-14 yrs old - it reads engine codes ok -has helped me in the past. Recently I had the Service 4wd system error on the dash - took it into the mechanic - said he read a few codes from the transmission - worn 4wd clutch etc - he cleared the codes and the msg went away - he checked all the electronics & told me all is good - and if it happens again to come back. My Commander is a 2006 about 280K km on it. The Service 4wd system code is back - but when I use the above reader it shows no codes - why can't I see and clear the codes like my mechanic can with his reader ??? I've looked for updates for my 3100e and there are none - do I need to get a more up to date reader ?? any help or advice is appreciated.
@moonrakercat ;

See what codes you come up with when you do the key dance;

The Key dance is performed by turning the ignition switch on/off 3 times quickly - On the 3rd cycle, you keep it in the ON position - DO NOT turn it off on the 3rd cycle.

Any current or stored DTC's will be displayed in the EVIC.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@moonrakercat ;

See what codes you come up with when you do the key dance;

The Key dance is performed by turning the ignition switch on/off 3 times quickly - On the 3rd cycle, you keep it in the ON position - DO NOT turn it off on the 3rd cycle.

Any current or stored DTC's will be displayed in the EVIC.
Yes - I tried it - no codes come up - it just says DONE

·
Administrator
7,992 Posts
Yes - I tried it - no codes come up - it just says DONE
Then you have no DTC's at present;

If the service 4WD system message is still on, you may need to have your FDCM reflashed, which wouldn't generate a DTC;

Have you had the P73 campaign completed on your Commander?

See the attached P73 Customer Satisfaction notice;

You can plug in your VIN below & see if your XK has had this completed or not;

Official Mopar Site | Service, Parts, Accessories & More

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,992 Posts
You also need to verify which 4WD system that you have; QT-I or QT-II.

Your signature says QT-I, but, if you have the 4.7L V-8, you probably have QT-II, in which case, the P73 campaign would apply to your Commander.

The P73 campaign applies to both QT-II & QD-II equipped Commanders, as they both use the NV245 two speed transfer case;

You can pull your Factory build sheet below, if you don't already have it, just by plugging in your VIN;

FCA RAM

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
354 Posts
i can not guarantee it will, but for <$20 may be a good investment. it does work work with FCA Appcar on a laptop so you should be able to do just about anything with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Your signature says QT-I, but, if you have the 4.7L V-8, you probably have QT-II, in which case, the P73 campaign would apply to your Commander.

The P73 campaign applies to both QT-II & QD-II equipped Commanders, as they both use the NV245 two speed transfer case;

You can pull your Factory build sheet below, if you don't already have it, just by plugging in your VIN;

FCA RAM
Hi Blue - thanks for the links - Good idea !!! I did put my vin in - and checked - and all the safety recalls as well as the p73 campaign(done in 2015) have been done.
And your right - checked the link above (thanks again !) - it is a QT II - so I fixed that in my profile.

I'm still in the dark though - I called a partsource and asked them why my scanner won't read the tranny codes - he said I need to buy the $ 4K scanner if I want to
do that. Ack.....

I tried pulling the 25 fuse(fdcm ediff) trick and taking it for a drive - no luck - maybe I should have pulled 23 (fdcm) fuse also ??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i can not guarantee it will, but for <$20 may be a good investment. it does work work with FCA Appcar on a laptop so you should be able to do just about anything with it.
Interesting - did a search - said it does pull up tranny codes - but I'm skeptical - well it is cheap - and I can return it if I buy from amazon and it doesn't work - still - would be nice to find someone
who has diagnosed transmission codes with it from the commander to confirm....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wait a minute - the FCA Appcar is not free software - so I have to buy software for the ELM327 ?

·
Administrator
7,992 Posts
Wait a minute - the FCA Appcar is not free software - so I have to buy software for the ELM327 ?
Transmission DTC's would show up just like any other DTC, you don't need anything special to pull them up;

They would show up in the EVIC when you do the key dance, if there were any present;

Yes, you would have to buy the FCA Appcar Diag OBD-II software, if you are going to try to use the ELM327 USB Cable; I think it's $50.00 for a single VIN the last time I checked and trust me when tell you, it will be the best $50 you ever spent; I highly recommend it.

More info on that here;

Want to disable your TPM sensors? You need Appcar-DiagFCA OBD-II Software; | Jeep Commander Forum

Also bare in mind, there are members that I know & trust, who have told me that they had to have their FDCMs re-flashed 3 times consecutively, for it to take properly;

Point being that just because you had it done once, several years ago, does not rule out the possibility of you needing to have your FDCM re-flashed, yet again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Transmission DTC's would show up just like any other DTC, you don't need anything special to pull them up;

They would show up in the EVIC when you do the key dance, if there were any present;

Yes, you would have to buy the FCA Appcar Diag OBD-II software, if you are going to try to use the ELM327 USB Cable; I think it's $50.00 for a single VIN the last time I checked and trust me when tell you, it will be the best $50 you ever spent; I highly recommend it.

More info on that here;

Want to disable your TPM sensors? You need Appcar-DiagFCA OBD-II Software; | Jeep Commander Forum

Also bare in mind, there are members that I know & trust, who have told me that they had to have their FDCMs re-flashed 3 times consecutively, for it to take properly;

Point being that just because you had it done once, several years ago, does not rule out the possibility of you needing to have your FDCM re-flashed, yet again.
Hmmmmm....reflashing is what I was thinking about. I'll look further into the software - and I'm going to call the garage the jeep was at last time for this - ask them if they can reflash and why I can't pull up the codes they did.

Thanks for the advice blue -

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
354 Posts
torque and jscan are free, the FCA appcar is the factory package, worth it in my opinion but you do not have to get it

·
Administrator
7,992 Posts
Hmmmmm....reflashing is what I was thinking about. I'll look further into the software - and I'm going to call the garage the jeep was at last time for this - ask them if they can reflash and why I can't pull up the codes they did.

Thanks for the advice blue -
No problem moon, let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
2007 Jeep commander 5.7 limited
3 Posts

FCA RAM
when the P73 been released? not been told in my country. thx

·
Administrator
7,992 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts