Jeep Commander Forum banner

My PIAA Aux. Lights

4K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  OnATrail 
#1 ·
I have been dragging my feet with this post, but I thought I should at least start it.
This is my matrix 4xguard with the front slide plate and 2" receiver.
There was so much help from many members here and it made the install a lot more simple.

Here are a few pics that I thought would help future matrix installers

I'll start with a few pics of what's needed for those of us who don't have front tow hooks from factory.
You need 2 PN 52090140AA cheap less than $10 each. Then a few grade 8 locking nuts from homedepot or lowes less than $3 total.

After you take the fascia off you need to unbolt this big steel cup.

The part only fits in one way, so that helps a lot. Here are a few more pics to help the next guy/gal.

When the boxes come, there are a whole lot of steel parts and a few more pics never hurts.

I'll have much more, but for right now it's a start. Here is the end result with out the winch.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good Seth! Congrats! What size are those aux lights again?

#3 ·
Here are a few pics that I thought would help future matrix installers

I'll start with a few pics of what's needed for those of us who don't have front tow hooks from factory.
You need 2 PN 52090140AA cheap less than $10 each. Then a few grade 8 locking nuts from homedepot or lowes less than $3 total.
Thanks man, this will help out a lot when I get to install mine. Thanks for the write up.

What are the bolt sizes( thread and length ect..)?

#4 ·
Looks great...wish shipping wasn't so bad into Canada...been thinking about getting one too.

#5 ·
Beautiful!

And rugged and super-growl worthy, of course. :)

#6 ·
LOOKING GOOD!!!

I love the 4XG Matrix. That, the front guard and bigger tires with the 2 inch lift give the XK attitude and altitude :) .

#7 ·
Matrix

I just got my Matrix and grill hoop via Fedex yesterday. I did not have tow hooks previously, did you order that part you say you need from your dealer? More importantly, it says on the 4xGuard website that there are 4 mounting locations for auxiliary lighting. I see where you mounted your two, where are the mounting holes for another set? I am looking at some sweet PIA's and want to get a set of fogs and a set of driving lights.

Thanks!

#8 ·
I just got my Matrix and grill hoop via Fedex yesterday. I did not have tow hooks previously, did you order that part you say you need from your dealer? More importantly, it says on the 4xGuard website that there are 4 mounting locations for auxiliary lighting. I see where you mounted your two, where are the mounting holes for another set? I am looking at some sweet PIA's and want to get a set of fogs and a set of driving lights.

Thanks!
The other set are under the cross member, so you can mount two on top (like ERNURSE) and two smaller ones in the middle on the bottom.

#9 ·
#10 ·
#11 ·
Thanks. It's even better now with the bigger lift and all the other goodies.

As for the lights, the ones in that picture are scrounged up from one box or another. I believe that's a pair of cheap rounds (5.5" maybe?) from the bargain bin at Harbor Freight. For the picture I paired them with some Mopar/Hella rectangulars, but I didn't keep it that way. Ideally, since the space is very restricted under the crosspiece, a person would undersling some LED flats instead. Would look very sweet!

#12 ·
I should also note that if you don't get the hoop on the Matrix you have multiple mounting spots on top of the uprights for some seriously huge lights -- if you're into that sort of thing.

#13 ·
Thanks. It's even better now with the bigger lift and all the other goodies.

As for the lights, the ones in that picture are scrounged up from one box or another. I believe that's a pair of cheap rounds (5.5" maybe?) from the bargain bin at Harbor Freight. For the picture I paired them with some Mopar/Hella rectangulars, but I didn't keep it that way. Ideally, since the space is very restricted under the crosspiece, a person would undersling some LED flats instead. Would look very sweet!
That looks good. I've thought about the idea of putting in some LED bars on the underside of the cross member but they seem to be a little expensive. I found some Hella Micro FF lights that probably wouldn't be bad either.

#14 ·
Matrix with lights

I unpacked my Matrix and grill guard. My PIAA 525 lights will be arriving tomorrow. As long as the dealer comes through with the required mounting plates by tomorrow like they said they would, this may be a weekend project. The PIAA 525 lights are dual bulbs, one ultra clear driving bulb as well as a plasma ion low beam for fog. They also have a blue high intensity LED light that gives the light a glowing look even when it is off. The best pics I could find was on an off road motorcycle thread. Here they are, I will post pics of the install.

PIAA 525 close up:

With clear driving lights on:

With plasma ion fog bulbs on:

In the "off mode" with L.E.D. glow:

I'm looking forward to this install, it just kind of came up to do this out of nowhere......just had to scratch the itch I guess.

#15 ·
PIAA is a great brand, and those are really useful lights. Can't wait to see pictures of it all afterward!

#16 ·
I had my eye one these lights, but PIAA sells them retail for about $475. Then I went to eBay and found a factory sealed set for $290 including shipping. I think that's a good value for the brand and function of these lights. Unfortunately, I opened my boxes from 4xGuard and the hoop has a couple of dime sized and pretty deep gouges in the paint that look like naturally quick rusting point. I will call them today and find out first hand how good their customer service is. I will be sure to report back..........

#17 ·
Gonna report back, OnATrail?

#18 ·
Thanks for all the complements. Was a lot of fun to install and a great product. I do feel that this thread is being JACKED by the PIAA lights talk. They seem to be great lights and should have their own thread.

#20 ·
Threads have been split.

#21 ·
Thank you for the split and for the record I do not have these lights.... YET

#23 · (Edited)
Didn't mean to jack the thread........sorry bout dat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.