Jeep Commander Forum banner

My wife finally drove the XK for the first time.

3K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  CUPRA 
#1 ·
More or less, I let her take it to pick up our son. :SM127:

She thought it was very smooth but thought it was very large. "Felt like I was driving a monster truck."

Now that's some good shtuff right dere!

#2 ·
My wife feels the same way but is always ready to take my XK when she has to run a errand... I need to lift it quick!

#3 ·
My wife does not care to drive the Commander, and does so only when she must. She feels the Commander is just too big and 'floaty'. If she had her druthers we'd have gotten another Odyssey. (ugh, I did my time in a minivan back in the baby and car seat era and that is over and done, thanks be to God).

That's all ok, I don't care to drive her car either. Her Mini Cooper S' ride is decidedly firm, but I just don't feel the need to experience every pebble on my commute.

I glad I got my Commander and the Hemi while they're still available. I did my time in econo boxes too, never want to back there either.

#5 ·
Just the opposite! My wife's car is our Commander, and she loves it! However, she still reminds me that she prefers what we traded in to buy the Commander: '03 Hummer H2

#6 ·
My wife does not drive the Commander unless her P.T. Loser is out of service. She feels the Commander is too big.

#7 ·
My wifes a BIG PT fan, she wants the cabrio, but sadly we have toooo many kids....so she'll have to stick with the Mercedes ML.

She wont drive the Commander as it wont fit in the school car park, I keep telling her its similar in size to the Commander....womens logic!!!:icon_confused:

We cant get the PT here anymore, they stopped selling new ones here about 18months ago, and now they have become a 'classic' over here!!!

#8 ·
My wife says she doesn't want to drive my XK and she hates big vehicles.... I couldn't be happier about that! That is why its MY commander

#9 ·
My wife loves to drive the commander, she likes the big power of the HEMI. I need to remind her always to go easy on the gas pedal... LOL! I drive fast but i always go easy on acceleration.. She would not mind driving her '08 Accord. Our kids loves sparkly/diamond (Commander).

#11 ·
She thought it was very smooth but thought it was very large. "Felt like I was driving a monster truck."

Now that's some good shtuff right dere!
That’s because Commanders have ‘’Snoopy’s doghouse syndrome.’’ If you’ve ever read Peanuts, you know Snoopy’s doghouse has a pool table in the basement, and enough room upstairs to hold large parties. :D

Park next to a Ford Expedition and a Commander looks pretty small. Park next to a Ford Excursion if you really want it to look small. Even new Dodge Durangos are quite a bit larger.

I’m 6’ 6’’ tall and weigh 320 lbs. The Commander is small from the outside as far as I’m concerned. But, it seems big when I’m driving it. I can’t put my finger on why it seems so big inside. Maybe it’s the box shape that keeps the side windows from curving over you like most bubble-SUV’s, and/or the straight up windshield is a long ways away across a large flat dashboard instead of all but having its top edge curving back at your head like most rigs. The three sunroofs help a lot too by ‘’opening up’’ the ceiling so you don’t feel closed in. Whatever it is, it certainly works.

#13 ·
My wife was really surprised how easy the Commander was to drive, she drove a 78 GMG pickup with a 14" lift and 42" tires for 3 years though :) .. on that truck she used to have to climb up the back tire and go along the running board to get in :)

She said it was much nicer to drive than the 74 Dodge Valiant we sold a few years ago

#14 ·
My Commander is a work vehicle, I use it all day long and my company pays the gas. Heaven help me if I am home and she has somewhere to go because she takes my truck. This is definately smaller that my Navigator I was driving but it is absolutely huge inside and I never have trouble finding a parking spot. I do miss the height of the Navigator though, can't wait to get my lift and tires, should help.

#16 ·
My wife and I split driving the XK - and if she had her way - she'd drive it all the time, but given the gas mileage and the distance she drives the kids to school...it isn't too economical. She loves the lift and I think one day I'll even be able to go with the 4" Superlift without any complaints.

#17 ·
my wife drives the XK 95% of the time. its the other way around in our house. i'm the lucky one when i get to drive it.

#18 ·
My wife 'picked' the Commander. My 150 had just been rebuilt after a serious accident and I was looking for something I could trust for daily duties. We looked at the 4 door Wrangler, but settled on the Commander after driving both. I should not say settled since we both like it and my wife comments how easy it is to drive compared to the 150. She often says it does not 'feel' big like the 150.

#19 ·
Today is one of those 'only if she has to' days for my wife. Woke up to snow and ice in our area and our Commander was the clear choice, and the heated seats had to make it a no brainer.

I get the Mini, and its up to me to keep it from being a Spin-i.

#20 ·
Today was 19ºF here in North Texas, after a nice ice storm last night... all roads had a 1/2 inch of ice on them. It was treacherous. Never the less... my wife still chose to drive her MX5 all the way to work!

I drove my XK, it wasn't infallible... ice can happen to anyone... but when it did slip, you could hear all the gizmos working over time to keep in headed where it should be.

Got to work safe and sound, followed by a nice donut in the parking lot as I parked up. What a fun drive to work!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.