Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my nav screen went out on me so now I'm looking to put a Mygig nav in. Does anybody have a pic of one installed? I have seen the one with the filler plate around the radio. I'm looking for one with a pocket above or below the nav to take up the space. I will post pics of the install and post the process.
Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
15,101 Posts

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh, I have sent them a few e-mails. You lose control over the ves and sound from the ves. You also need a mic for the voice control/u-connect. I might try to rewire my mic in the mirror. I found the adapter on e-bay for $190 with the extra harness for av. The only thing I'm not sure of is if the steering controls for the u-connect will still work. I know they do for the audio.

·
Registered
21 Posts
D-niceCommander,
That would be awesome if you could post some pics of your process. I want to do the same upgrade but have been putting it off because I really do not know what I am doing. I have a friend that can help but I am just nervous I will lose UConnect functionality. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just ordered the lock pick adapter $185, Rer Mygig low speed $599, And mygig mic $20 with $11 shipping ( yep 11 bucks ). For a total of $816. They wanted $665 to fix the old one. so I thought for the extra $150 why not upgrade. should be here next week.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Did a similar install as well, except with a REN instead of a RER. Don't forget you'll also need a bezel and a Sirius extension cable if you subscribe or intend to subscribe to it.

I'm thinking of getting one just so my resale doesn't take a hit, for 25 bucks or so I can say it has Sirius, rather than having to tell someone they have to go get a wire, run it through the Jeep, pull out the radio, and connect it, then you'll have Sirius!

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got it installed today. Everything went well except the clock read 12:00 all the time. Tried to change it with no success. I think its an update issue. I do have Sirius. I had got a new Sirius antenna before the install.I had relocated it to the front of the Commander. I had planned to put a roof basket on. So I just rerouted the wire to the back of the radio instead of the box under the back seat. I will try to get some pics up soon. If any knows how to fix the clock please let me know.

·
Super Moderator
15,101 Posts
Just got it installed today. Everything went well except the clock read 12:00 all the time. Tried to change it with no success. I think its an update issue. I do have Sirius. I had got a new Sirius antenna before the install.I had relocated it to the front of the Commander. I had planned to put a roof basket on. So I just rerouted the wire to the back of the radio instead of the box under the back seat. I will try to get some pics up soon. If any knows how to fix the clock please let me know.
http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/MyGigOwnersManual.pdf

Set the Time

1. Press the time soft-key in the lower left corner of the screen.
The minutes are set by the GPS system.
2. Press the Set Time Zone soft-key to change to the desired
time zone.
3. Press the Daylight Savings soft-key to switch Daylight Saving
on or off.
It is possible to set up your own time (ahead or behind actual
GPS time), by pressing the USER CLOCK soft-key.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are some pics of the install so far.

Everything you need for the install except the sirius antenna.

I got the AV harness so I could add a rearveiw camera later.

Everything just plugs in very easy!

The Rer is smaller in hight and width. The width is only about 1/8 inch on each side.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So you jus unbolt and pull off the dash/bezel.

Two screws hold the radio in and then it slides straight out.

If you new nav has the two black tabs you will have to cut them off to get it in.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have to find a place to put the new GPS antenna (and sat antenna if you have sat). I put the GPS here on top of the Gauges.

Put some double side tape and place it with the end that has the wire coming out to the back of the truck. Coil up the excess and tape it out of the way.

I put the lockpick behind the glovebox. You can put it anywhere you want as long as the wires reach.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Plug in the rer. The gray plug from the new harness plugs into the large plug. The smaller plug from the vehicle doesnt get used.

This plug doesnt get used either. Looks like it might be the old sat or gps antenna.

Fm antenna adapter.

Sat antenna.

All antennas. Blue/gps black/FM yellow/SAT.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The white plug that comes off the av harness doesnt get used.

Make sure your settings are good before you start it up.
Mine was shipped with the right settings from factory.

When I started it up for a split second it said Chrysler the quickly changed to Jeep.

Tested everything before I put it back together.

It will bolt in the middle or the bottom. I bolted it to the bottom because I want to put a pocket above. Plus I think It supports the radio better resting on the bottom then just hanging by the face.

Top and side gaps.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Just installed RER_2.067 and it fixed the clock issue. And I installed the newest gracenotes (GN_2057_US). All in all very easy to down load and install. So far very happy with the new nav.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did you find a way to utilize the space above the Nav? If so, would you mind posting a pic of what it looks like? If you were to do it again would you purchase the bezel for that size unit?

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just bough a dash bezel off ebay. Its the stock commander one with the pocket above. when i get it I will post more pics.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the new dash bezel today. Didnt have much time to finish it. I still have more sanding and some buffing to do.

You can see what you have to cut out.

And after you cut it to fit.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts