Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an intermittent coolant leak near the top intake of the radiator. When it does leak, it sprays across the driver side of the engine cover and battery compartment. Today I removed the grill so I could try and track it down. I brought the car up to temperature then let it cool....nothing. I cannot recreate the leak. Coolant is full and engine is maintaining normal temp. Any ideas where this could be coming from or how I can "force" the leak to track it down?

2008 Limited 5.7

Attachments

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The radiator is a metal core with plastic tanks on either side that are clamped on with a seal between the plastic and metal core lip. In the past, the all metal radiators rarely failed and could last the life of the vehicle if they didn't clog. The new type of ratiator is cheaper and more efficient, but often doesn't last the life of the vehicle.

NOT saying its definitely the problem, but its a possibility. Itermittent leak from the seal between the radiator core and its plastic tank "could" cause spray in the area you're talking about.

Are the hoses swelled, soft or gooey? A weak clamp plus a swelled hose could cause intermitten spray in the area as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts