Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been leaking fluid from this area for some time now, does anyone have a clue as to what on earth could be leaking here? I cant find an obvious leak anywhere but at the end if every day there's a small puddle on the floor, very slowly. The close up Is the driver side bottom of my radiator. Anything helps, thanks!
20200724_091807.jpg 20200724_091653.jpg 20200723_200238.jpg

·
Administrator
15,357 Posts
@FrankWhite06 My first guess would be your radiator is leaking.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It didnt really seem like antifreeze, looks more like oil or tranny fluid but a weird spot for any of that to be coming from

·
Administrator
15,357 Posts
@FrankWhite06 Power steering fluid maybe? Have you checked all your fluid levels?

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts
I've been leaking fluid from this area for some time now, does anyone have a clue as to what on earth could be leaking here? I cant find an obvious leak anywhere but at the end if every day there's a small puddle on the floor, very slowly. The close up Is the driver side bottom of my radiator. Anything helps, thanks!
View attachment 41386 View attachment 41387 View attachment 41388
@FrankWhite06; You may have a bad radiator cap and I'd almost bet that's small amounts of coolant that you're leaking. I had a similar leak like yours, 3 weeks after I bought my Commander and just like you, I had no idea where it was coming from.

If you look at the neck of your radiator really closely, you may be able to see the dried stains of dripping coolant/fluid there.

I'm telling you now - if you're not specifically looking for it, you could very easily overlook it.

Fortunately, I had a pretty sharp mechanic give my XK the once over and he spotted the dried up drip stains on the neck of the radiator and sure enough, the radiator cap was the culprit.

The leaking fluid kind of threw me, because, I was so used to coolant being green in color, I didn't think there was any way that it was coolant - not so in our XK's & the coolant has an oiley, pink'ish appearance (at least mine did) & it can easily be mistaken for tranny fluid or power steering fluid.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Big Blue that actually describes the color and texture of the fluid, thanks man I appreciate it, I'm going to give it a good look. Did you just replace the cap and it was fine?

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts
@Big Blue that actually describes the color and texture of the fluid, thanks man I appreciate it, I'm going to give it a good look. Did you just replace the cap and it was fine?
No problem @FrankWhite06;

Yep, just bought a new cap, put it on (when the engine was cold) and that was the end of the leak.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah the cap is fine bone dry and clean all around, it seems to be leaking from the radiator itself, the reservoir is very low, and the bottom of the radiator is drenched and gunked up, here's some pictures, you can clearly see where its dripping down. Weird though it looks darker and dirty where it drips but I dipped my finger into the radiator fill and it's much more clear

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts
Yeah the cap is fine bone dry and clean all around, it seems to be leaking from the radiator itself, the reservoir is very low, and the bottom of the radiator is drenched and gunked up, here's some pictures, you can clearly see where its dripping down. Weird though it looks darker and dirty where it drips but I dipped my finger into the radiator fill and it's much more clear
Sounds like it's time for a new radiator.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Question @Big Blue what is right in front of the radiator? Taking a closer look that's what seems to be wet and gunked up not the radiator itself

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts
Question @Big Blue what is right in front of the radiator? Taking a closer look that's what seems to be wet and gunked up not the radiator itself
Unfortunately, I'm not home to take a look at mine, so, I can't tell you off the top of my head.

·
Administrator
15,357 Posts

·
Administrator
15,357 Posts
Is it tranny cooler and AC condenser together?
@FrankWhite06 Which model and engine do you have? If you would make a signature with that info it would be helpful when members are trying to help you. See my signature as an example.

·
Registered
559 Posts
If the leak is coming from the condenser, that's either pag oil from the condenser or tranny fluid. The a/c and trans share the same cooling coil. Either way, you'll have to evacuate the ac system and replace the condenser. Do you have an HVAC tech that could help you when it's time to pressurized the system? If you have rear air the system requires 2.12lbs ( which is roughly 34 oz ) of r134 refridgerant.
Just went through this...Replaced the compressor, condenser and the filter dryer. I did all the mechanical work myself but had to have an ac tech buddy vac down the system to dry it out, and weigh in the proper amount of Freon. It's not difficult, but requires gauges and equipment most diyers do not have.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts