Jeep Commander Forum banner

Mystery Connector Found. Can't find where it goes. Please Help

6K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Colt 
#1 ·
So I'm including a picture of a random connector floating around in my engine bay in the hopes that someone can help me identify it. It doesn't seem to go anywhere and I can't find anything that looks like it is missing a connector.

Amy ideas?

P.S. it seems to stem from a loom under the battery tray on the driver side.
Only light I have on the dash is the airbag light which I'm hoping is simply a loose or corroded connector under the seat based on reading the comments others with this light have made on here.

I've attached a picture of the connector in question.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Any ideas?

#3 · (Edited)
I took a good look at your pic just now, but, that connector is unfamiliar to me; If I was home I'd go out to my XK & take a look;

Unfortunately, I'm off the coast of South America right now and won't be back home 'til the beginning of December.

#4 ·
Thanks Blue. I'm sure someone will come along and chime in soon

#5 ·
Reactions: Big Blue
#7 ·
#8 ·
Ok so unfortunately I didn't track it down from the diagrams but thank you very much for those.

Someone on a Jeep Commander Facebook group was able to identify it however and showed me pictures of their same connector, which connected to ...drumroll please...

Hood switch for remote start (tells the system hood is closed??)

Just don't know if this means I have remote start? Never had original keyfobs when I bought her. Dealer did ignition switch recall and gave me two new fobs with no remote start ...but then why is that connector there??

The more I think of it, I'm not 100% convinced it is FOR the remote start so much as it works in conjunction with it ...I have a feeling that it serves another purpose in regard to the hood but, what, why?

I can't imagine that they would just leave a random wire hanging there. The pic the guy posted shows a metal bracket which almost doesn't look factory and the switch itself looks weird. I've never seen anything like it on other vehicles and it is just odd...it looks very 80s ya know? Hmm...?

#9 · (Edited)
Ok so unfortunately I didn't track it down from the diagrams but thank you very much for those.

Someone on a Jeep Commander Facebook group was able to identify it however and showed me pictures of their same connector, which connected to ...drumroll please...

Hood switch for remote start (tells the system hood is closed??)

Just don't know if this means I have remote start? Never had original keyfobs when I bought her. Dealer did ignition switch recall and gave me two new fobs with no remote start ...but then why is that connector there??

The more I think of it, I'm not 100% convinced it is FOR the remote start so much as it works in conjunction with it ...I have a feeling that it serves another purpose in regard to the hood but, what, why?

I can't imagine that they would just leave a random wire hanging there. The pic the guy posted shows a metal bracket which almost doesn't look factory and the switch itself looks weird. I've never seen anything like it on other vehicles and it is just odd...it looks very 80s ya know? Hmm...?
@Thefelixrodriguez;

Good grief; You're really making this a whole lot more difficult than it has to be;

Why are you sitting there wondering if you have remote start or not???

Pull your factory build sheet and you will know definitively, if your XK came with remote start as an option from the factory - it will be listed on your factory build sheet in black & white.

This is straight off of the very first post in the New Member Required Reading Sticky thread:

To get the factory build sheet for the Commander you are looking at, or for the Commander you've already bought, enter your VIN here:

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

Secondary link: https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/eqlisting_detail/

The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options & optional preferred equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built.

#12 ·
that connector was just open?

in the engine compartment?

near the fuse box?

interesting; i will have a look at mine at lunch.

It looks like a connector used for an under hood switch?

this switch would be used for cars with remote start or theft deterrent in the UK

#17 ·
this switch would be used for cars with remote start or theft deterrent in the UK
Here in the UK we cant be trusted with such things as remote start. BUT some have fitted it after purchase (and have to disconnect it when the Jeep goes for its annual test)

Wiring looms do though have a history of being 'one size fit all'' so that many extras can be 'plugged' by dealerships etc - which might explain a random conector floating about.?

Reactions: Colt
#15 ·
Thanks Blue, very kind of you.

#18 ·
just as a follow up, for the sake of future readers that may happen to come across this thread: I looked under the hood again and did some more digging...I have no bracket like the one pictured, I have no holes for a previously removed bracket. None.

Build sheet shows no remote start so why would it have a hood switch ya know?

Short of this being an extra connector in case dealership wanted to install remote start as mentioned ...the mystery continues unsolved it seems.

#20 ·
This is too weird. I was just about to post the same exact question when I saw a recent post about a mystery connector and low and behold, it was the same one. I had just removed my battery to replace it with a new one when I noticed it tucked under the battery tray. I just happened to pull it up and couldnt figure out what it was supposed to go to. I was getting ready to remove my battery tray to get a better look of what it could have been connected to. Here is a picture of my "Mystery Connector"

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.