Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! First post here on Jeep Commander. Just picked up my new jeep and we fell in love with it.

Quick question,

I have a 5.7 L hemi with 4x4. The previous owner gave me this "hose" as an after thought and said "oh ya.. One last thing". The hose goes on the upper passenger side of the front differential. It's about a 2 foot house with a broken connector. I was wondering where it connected into so I could buy a new plastic connector.

Here are the pics (I actually can't figure out how to post pics but here's the website instead)

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A2GWZuqDNk7Eh;F7ED5357-0469-49B5-8BA5-5C9DB9CB0F8B

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Yes, its a breather hose, the idea being, if you drive through high water it can get into the differential and its oil through the breather port, so a hose runs extends the opening of the breather much higher to avoid that.

No vacuum lines to the differentials, I don't think there is any aftermarket parts for the Commander that use vacuum either. Only the QDII has locking differentials and that is controlled electrically, NOT with vacuum.

The broken plastic piece on the end, NOT sure if there is a pressure valve in it, filter or maybe just a redirect vent to avoid sucking dirt and moisture. Eitherway, the original cap appears to have something smarter than a simple opening at the end of the tube. Might be worth it to visit a dealer and get an actual replacement part for the end of the tube, instead of finding some plastic piece in a hardware store.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts