Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been chasing a front end knock for over a year now.

basically when you accelerate and brake you can feel a knock through the steering wheel and its audible enough to hear inside the cab with windows closed.

2006 Commander
113,000 miles
Rock Road 2.5 lift
1.5" spidertrax spacers
265-tires

just picked the commander a couple hours ago with work completed and knock is still there.

List of new parts

Struts
New hardware on rock road lift pedestals
upper control arms
lower control arms
sway bar bushings
swaybay end links
steering rack and inner/outer pieces
calipers/pads/rotors
cv joints (left and right)
foward drive shaft
nose cone bushings

any thoughts would be helpful....

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the same thing, except it's only over bumps, had everything checked out and everything is good condition, no one can tell me what it is,

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
What's a Nose Cone Bushing?

The transfer case chain can wear and that can cause some lash between the output for the front/rear driveshafts. Shifting between pre-load on the drivetrain, either acceleration to braking or vice-a-versa will spin the shafts to either side of the lash and then stop.

I have something similar to what you describe, but its NOT bad enough to call it a clunk noise, you can only feel a slight clunk from time to time under the same conditions. I twist driveshafts output on either side of the xfr case and find more lash than I would expect. Leads me to believe my chain is stretching a bit.

As well, if you're overdue for servicing the xfr case, you might want to do it. There are freewheeling units in it that old/bad fluid might slow down their engagement contributing to the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's a Nose Cone Bushing?
Its the top bushing on the front diferential, requires lowering of the axle to replace.

Had mine replaced with custom aftermarket polyurethane one after having it fail a couple of times usually costs 450.00 a pop....

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
NOT necessarily, the first one failed for a reasonable reason and it was replaced, the replacement failed within 8 months, that is unreasonable, replaced again, thus he says he's on his third in 8 months. That "could" mean he's only had one bad rack.

He has a lift also, although 2.5" doesn't sound like enough to do that, but it ain't helping keeping the steering racks having an easy life.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
NOT necessarily, the first one failed for a reasonable reason and it was replaced, the replacement failed within 8 months, that is unreasonable, replaced again, thus he says he's on his third in 8 months. That "could" mean he's only had one bad rack.

He has a lift also, although 2.5" doesn't sound like enough to do that, but it ain't helping keeping the steering racks having an easy life.
My wording was pretty poor, and you are correct.

RC lifts have been known to damage steering racks.

Has the rack been adjusted? There is an adjustment screw that could help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rack is adjusted, the first rack lasted 99,000 miles, of those 68k was on the RR lift...

second rack lasted 11k miles

third one was installed and now has 1k miles on it....

·
Registered
79 Posts
If it is the front diff bushing, it is covered under the drivetrain warranty that all 2006 Jeep vehicles have. My went bad and it was only a $100 copay at the dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts