Jeep Commander Forum banner

Nag1 / wa580 fluid filter change

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jeep5253 
#1 · (Edited)
Aside from being remiss (negligent?) on changing my tranny fluid, I wanted to understand some of the experiences folks have had with theirs.

This tranny is reported to be sealed with "lifetime" fluid, but i dont believe it.

Even though i am late in my maint. schedule, i want to know what fluid is supposed to be used to replace it.

No fluid i know of is rated at lifetime, so when i do replace it plus the filter, i want to get whatever special kind of fluid the unit needs, so i dont give myself problems.

mind you, i have no shift problems at this time, just a little pan gasket leak.

figured i could replace filter/gasket/fluid in one operation, but where to put the new fluid in? how much?

Can i trust a tranny shop to use the right stuff or should i prescribe them what to use.

Grrrrrrr........too many things to sort out and I want to get it right so i can drive it another 100K

See less See more
#2 ·
I feel like we just covered this a few days ago.

The only thing I don't remember covering was the type of transmission fluid. You need the ATF +4.
The whole transmission holds 8.2 qts.
After service add 5.3 to start with.
I think I suggested you take this thing to the dealership. It takes some special equipment.

I'm not saying you can't do-it-yourself.
But I feel like you should take it to the dealership.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#3 ·
You need to read your Owner's Manual before you screw up your transmission.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.