Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start!!!

1. The factory IPOD hookup cable in the glove box.
2. Both the passenger and driver side coil pack have a harness loom clipped to the coil packs, but only the passenger side has a harness.
3. The oil filter has a neat molded plastic drip tray that routes the dripping oil down a chute....Right onto the power steering hoses...
4. the muffler is the largest i have ever seen on any roadgoing vehicle.
5. the exhaust sytem is basically a serpentine of goofy bends and turns
6. the airbox resonator was enormous

anyone else?

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
I have 2 rear view mirrors - and it seems that both were installed by the factory.

One is with all of the on-star buttons if you want to subscribe to Onstar (which I have not) and is mounted to the windshield and has some wiring going to it.

It works - I've pressed the power button before and it tells me if I want to subscribe to Onstar dial 1 800 whatever the number is.

The other rear view mirror is the generic factory rear view mirror which is mounted to the forward part of the overhead console.

It's pretty obvious looking at them that both were installed by the factory but nobody can tell me why.

There is no easy way to get either one of them off either.

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
Can you post pics of your 2 mirrors? Thx
This is the only photo I have where you can almost see them both - the on-star mirror (the one on the windshield) is hard to see because the awwwww-crap grab handle is blocking the view somewhat;

EDIT: Found one more old photo where you can see them a little better:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I know Chrysler does a lot of weird things. But putting two mirrors on a windshield is going to be pretty far-fetched.
Did you buy that vehicle brand new from the dealership?
If you did not. It probably is an OnStar FMV mirror.
I would get rid of one of them. It looks ridiculous.

·
Banned
159 Posts
I can't believe the engineers thought climbing over the 2nd row would be the best way to access the 3rd row. I know it's really only for kids but still, why not find a way to make the whole thing flip forward or something?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol yeah....mine flip forward just fine...but maybe early cheaper sports don't or something? Imagine owning a vehicle for 10 years and someone points out the seats flip forward lol

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
mine only has the forward mounted mirror, with the bottons and stuff. I think the GPS antenna is in front of that.
That's the On-star mirror.

The closer mirror on the console is actually the one I use - the On-star mirror is too far away.

Spraygun said:
I know Chrysler does a lot of weird things. But putting two mirrors on a windshield is going to be pretty far-fetched.
Did you buy that vehicle brand new from the dealership?
If you did not. It probably is an OnStar FMV mirror.
I would get rid of one of them. It looks ridiculous.
That would be pretty far-fetched - but if you read my post completely - you would know that they are not both on the windshield - and I've already stated that the one on the windshield is an On-Star mirror. :SM130:

I guess fortunately for you Spraygun - You don't have to look at it.

I didn't buy my XK new - I'm the second owner, bought it in July of 2014 with 62,000 miles on it and it was 100% completely, bone-stock.

It did not have one, single after-market upgrade to it when I bought it. (This is the 1st reason why I'm certain this was done either at the factory or at the dealership where it was delivered).

Additionally, I can tell you without any doubt, the second mirror (on the overhead console) was installed either at the factory - or by the dealership where it was purchased from the following observations;

When you see the mirror up-close and see how it was mounted - it's quite obvious that this was not just a slap-on, glue in place install - although it is not an On-Star mirror, it is of OEM quality and it's bolted in place professionally with a factory/OEM type of fitting - not something you would typically see, at a local auto parts store.

The part of the overhead console that the mirror is mounted to - and the way it is mounted, make it very difficult to gain the access necessary to try and remove it, without special tools.

Quite honestly, I don't see how this could have been installed anywhere but at the factory, while the interior was being assembled & installed.

At some point, I will probably wind-up removing the On-Star mirror, since I don't use that mirror and have no plans on paying for the On-Star service.

Sounds kind of silly, but, it never really bothered me much.

When I'm driving, the On-Star mirror is pretty much hidden from my view by the closer rear-view mirror that I actually use.

Out of sight, out of mind I guess.

·
Banned
159 Posts
You shouldn't have to climb over the second row?
Don't they all have flip up second row seats to access the third row?
Lol yeah....mine flip forward just fine...but maybe early cheaper sports don't or something? Imagine owning a vehicle for 10 years and someone points o ok

ut the seats flip forward lol

What how the hell you guys do that? I've had this thing for 3 months and thought I had tugged and pulled on every lever and strap I could find????

Side note I really love that brown leather, I need to find a donor Jeep asap.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have 2 rear view mirrors - and it seems that both were installed by the factory.

One is with all of the on-star buttons if you want to subscribe to Onstar (which I have not) and is mounted to the windshield and has some wiring going to it.

It works - I've pressed the power button before and it tells me if I want to subscribe to Onstar dial 1 800 whatever the number is.

The other rear view mirror is the generic factory rear view mirror which is mounted to the forward part of the overhead console.

It's pretty obvious looking at them that both were installed by the factory but nobody can tell me why.

There is no easy way to get either one of them off either.
Pictures pleas:nerd:

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I believe what you have is that someone installed OnStar FMV (For My Vehicle) as an aftermarket add on. The FMV OnStar mirror is supposed to replace the factory mirror. The factory mirror does indeed mount in the overhead console area. Mine has a sunroof so I have a different overhead console but the mirror is mounted there. The 2nd mirror was not factory (JNAP -- Jefferson North Assembly Plant) installed. Maybe dealer or others. I suspect someone just added the OnStar mirror where it was convenient when they purchased OnStar.

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
I believe what you have is that someone installed OnStar FMV (For My Vehicle) as an aftermarket add on. The FMV OnStar mirror is supposed to replace the factory mirror. The factory mirror does indeed mount in the overhead console area. Mine has a sunroof so I have a different overhead console but the mirror is mounted there. The 2nd mirror was not factory (JNAP -- Jefferson North Assembly Plant) installed. Maybe dealer or others. I suspect someone just added the OnStar mirror where it was convenient when they purchased OnStar.
And I'm guessing that the On-Star mirror was probably added at the dealership where Big Blue was first delivered to after she was built.

Because like I said - the original owner did absolutely ZERO modifications or upgrades during their time of ownership.

That makes perfect sense @quickster2 - and that's what I was not sure about - so Thank you very much for clarifying that.

I didn't know if the On-Star mirror was from the factory or not - it seemed feasible to me that it could have been.

Now that you have clarified that the mirror on the overhead console is the original factory rear view mirror - it makes much more sense - because like I said, the mirror on the overhead console definitely looks like it was installed by the factory.

Now that I know for sure that the On-Star mirror is the one that was added, I'll probably just take the On-Star mirror off of the windshield when I get home - because I'll never pay for that service and I don't use that rear-view mirror at all because it's too far away where it's been mounted.

Thanks again quickster.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What how the hell you guys do that? I've had this thing for 3 months and thought I had tugged and pulled on every lever and strap I could find????

Side note I really love that brown leather, I need to find a donor Jeep asap.

Lol...

You move the handle to flip the seatback forward... the headrest collapses, and the seatback comes forward.

You move the same handle FURTHER, to its 2ND detente position. And the seat BOTTOMS rock forward.

IF you're like me, and have the front seats all the way back, they do sometimes hit, and dont rock all the way up, i suspect thats your issue. move the front seats up and give it a go. If you had a 2006 V6 2wd sport....I'd say maybe your got a cheap one that doesn't do it, but being an 08 limited, i'd say you have to have it.

·
Banned
159 Posts
Well slap my ass and call me Susan! I actually was pulling the lever properly but I guess years of not being used something had sizes up. Took a couple of fist slams and tugs but now it works like a charm. I knew I had to be missing something, no way they didn't release. Thanks guys! Glad I actually said something even if it was stupid.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts