Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am driving my 06 Commander home the other day down the local highway at 50 mph, and I come up on a set of railroad tracks. I have gone over these tracks hundreds of times before. This time when I hit them all of a sudden there was the God awful noise coming from the drive shaft or transfercase area. The noise was speed related because as I went faster it was louder and faster. I crawled under and I didnt see anything loose. It had sounded like the driveshaft had come loose. I was only 2 miles from home so I decided to baby it home. By the time I got home it was extremly loud. So I backed into my driveway and crawled under again, nothing. So I decide to put it in 4 wheel low to see if that made a difference. So before I put it in 4 low I pulled foward into my street and didnt hear anything, weird. I put it in 4 low and I still didnt hear anything. put it back and 4 high and the noise all of a sudden fixed it's self. I drove it all around yesturday and this morning and nothing...WHat the hell, I dont want to bring it in because it is 1500 miles out of warrenty. Any ideas?

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you think there is something really wrong with it, take it in. Sometimes dealerships will honor warranties if its only been a few thousand miles. And if they wont, your going to have to get it fixed sometime, why wait for more damage?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BigRed said:
If you think there is something really wrong with it, take it in. Sometimes dealerships will honor warranties if its only been a few thousand miles. And if they wont, your going to have to get it fixed sometime, why wait for more damage?
But it isnt doing it anymore. I dont want to bring it n for then to say "Ohh sorry, we didnt hear anything"

·
Registered
225 Posts
It's your call I guess. Personally, I'd call the dealer and see if they would still honor the warranty, and then have them check it over. If they don't come up with anything your out a little money, and if you have more problems later, you can come back and say they missed it, and they should cover it. If you wait and there is a problem, you may be well out of luck if you put a few more thousand miles on it. But hey, if you don't think there is a problem....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got off the phone with the dealer, They said Sorry Jeep is very strict bout there warrenty and there is no way they would cover it. Basterds

·
Registered
225 Posts
No kidding, Pontiac covered a piston replacement for me after my warranty was up. I guess I figured Jeep would even be better to work with.

·
Registered
588 Posts
My vote is to go to a friendly mechanic, get the vehicle up on a lift and go under tugging and pulling on everything you can find to see if anything is loose or wedged up there that doesnt belong there. Personally, I DONT think its anything internal as it wouldnt come and go. If it were gears or something like ujoint etc. once you break it, its broken. To me, more likely something like exhaust hitting somewhere. When I lifted my sons jeep we had a HORRIBLE noise when he turned right. I would have SWORN it was a bad ujoint and I pulled the front axle and replaced a PERFECTLY GOOD ujoint. Still made the noise. Put it back up on the lift and with a bright light looked at everything and turned out the exhaust pipe coming down from the manifold was hitting something and only found it because of slight scar on the exhaust. Banged it over and solved the problem. john

·
Registered
717 Posts
vinnyl26 said:
I just got off the phone with the dealer, They said Sorry Jeep is very strict bout there warrenty and there is no way they would cover it. Basterds
I think it depends on the dealer....My dealer has taken care of me in the past on out of warranty stuff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
****Update******
Well I got the noise to come back. Good news I figured out what it was and it was an easy fix. Even though the noise sounded like it was comming from the Transfer case area, it was really comming from the rear. As the rear suspension would compress, the Rear axle pinion flange some how grabbed the parking brake cable. It wore through the rubber covering to the metal line. The noise would transmit through the drive shaft and cable. So I moved the cable where it should be and zip tied it out of the way. All fixed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts