Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, there are no pictures. Not yet, anyways...

My club takes a trip to GWNF every February and I am considering taking the XK this year. I typically tow my YJ down, but it is serious overkill to drive the YJ. I would really like to try out the XK and a national forest seems like the best chance to test it. Although my wife is 'brow beating me" about taking a $44k vehicle off-road. I doubt I will lift it before the trip, if ever, so I'm looking for stock experiences with the XK. Some people tell me "I'm crazy" others say "that is why you got the QDII and skid plates isnt' it?" I have done some searches and have read about shutting down the ESP, but what about airing down? I go down as far as 8 with the YJ, but I know that is not necessary nor possible with the 17" wheels I have.

The trails we will encounter are forest roads and will likely be snow covered, but that is all.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
jeep63 said:
No, there are no pictures. Not yet, anyways...

My club takes a trip to GWNF every February and I am considering taking the XK this year. I typically tow my YJ down, but it is serious overkill to drive the YJ. I would really like to try out the XK and a national forest seems like the best chance to test it. Although my wife is 'brow beating me" about taking a $44k vehicle off-road. I doubt I will lift it before the trip, if ever, so I'm looking for stock experiences with the XK. Some people tell me "I'm crazy" others say "that is why you got the QDII and skid plates isnt' it?" I have done some searches and have read about shutting down the ESP, but what about airing down? I go down as far as 8 with the YJ, but I know that is not necessary nor possible with the 17" wheels I have.

The trails we will encounter are forest roads and will likely be snow covered, but that is all.
What trails? The ones near Harrisonburg? On everything but Dictum Ridge, you should be fine if you are careful.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Is this just trail riding? How much ice is there? I have taken my XK through 10" of fresh snow and been fine till I needed to go up a 25 degree angle. I made it up but needed a bit of a running start. That is the stock Forteras fault, it wasnt difficult terrain. I say take the Commander, thats what its for! We all would like to hear about it too!
...Once a Jeep is too nice to take offroad it is no longer a Jeep...

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
The only time I ever got stuck was with stock tires, no lift and a nice big pile of wet snow. Everything else - mud, rocks, etc - it had no problems with. But, getting stuck did get me the go ahead for the lift and tires!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
What Maryland club are you part of? And where in the GW are you going? Regardless, you should be fine on most of the trails around there. I actually probably wouldn't recommend airing down too much, but if you do, maybe minimal to about 20psi... something small, since these tires aren't exactly meant for sidewall traction. Let me know how things work out for you, and pics, definitely!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rubicontrail.net said:
What trails? The ones near Harrisonburg? On everything but Dictum Ridge, you should be fine if you are careful.
I know to stay off Dictum Ridge with the XK. YJ = yes, XK = no. I guess what I am really looking for is tips for wheelin' the stock XK.:cool:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sciron4x4 said:
What Maryland club are you part of? And where in the GW are you going? !
I am a member of Baltimore 4 Wheelers. We are going near Harrisonburg. We usually hook up with Kevin Rogers from SVFWD.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
jeep63 said:
I know to stay off Dictum Ridge with the XK. YJ = yes, XK = no. I guess what I am really looking for is tips for wheelin' the stock XK.:cool:
You should be okay. I wheeled a lot of them when my Cherokee was stock... only got stuck once (don't follow a lifted Rubicon through a mud hole if they just had a little trouble getting through it themselves :rolleyes: ).

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've been up 2nd Mountain and down Dictum Ridge and have been up to Flagpole twice, going up one way and coming down the other both times, the second time was reversed of the first. I was stock and had no skid plates at the time and had no trouble. You only air down there to make the ride smoother. We have yet to air down the XK because we argue the XK is already too smooth.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lonestar said:
I've been up 2nd Mountain and down Dictum Ridge and have been up to Flagpole twice, going up one way and coming down the other both times, the second time was reversed of the first. I was stock and had no skid plates at the time and had no trouble. You only air down there to make the ride smoother. We have yet to air down the XK because we argue the XK is already too smooth.
Good to know an XK has already been out there. It will be different trail riding in total comfort. I must be getting old.:D

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
I take mine off roading every month on a group event and I run stock tires. Since the roads are maintained that really is not an issue. Bad weather can change that as well. I am lifted but not enough to make a big difference. The main thing I find is that I get pin striping up the sides from the bushes.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just be careful if its icy. Flagpole tops out around 4200 feet, and I think 2nd mountain tops around 3700 if my memory serves me correctly.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lonestar said:
Just be careful if its icy. Flagpole tops out around 4200 feet, and I think 2nd mountain tops around 3700 if my memory serves me correctly.
Always cautious, especially when my son is along. It was very cold, and icy, last year. It was fun still.

I'll do my best to shoot some good pics.
:cool:

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
jeep63 said:
Always cautious, especially when my son is along. It was very cold, and icy, last year. It was fun still.

I'll do my best to shoot some good pics.
:cool:
Shoot some of you crossing the river on the south side of the highway. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
rubicontrail.net said:
Shoot some of you crossing the river on the south side of the highway. :)
Do you mean at the bottom of the mountain on the VA side? If you are driving on the road towards Harrisonburg you would turn right onto the trail. If I am thinking of the correct trail.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
jeep63 said:
Do you mean at the bottom of the mountain on the VA side? If you are driving on the road towards Harrisonburg you would turn right onto the trail. If I am thinking of the correct trail.
Yeah, right side if you are heading towards Harrisonburg from WV. In the spring that river can get going pretty good so don't go in it if it is too high or too fast.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think this is the spot we are both thinking about...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts