Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 5.7 with all the trimmings.. My NAV has slowly been getting this error message more and more.. Usually I could fix it for a while by popping out the DVD and putting it back in...after a while, I'd get the message again. Now I get it almost immediately after popping the DVD in/out, or shortly after starting the car.

Anyone else experience this? I don't know if it's the head unit or what.. DVD was always in there so dont think it was scratches or anything like that which started the issues. Might try a newer DVD but dont think that will be it... after all, head unit is 5 years old now.

Just wondering since it's intermittent if maybe a DVD cleaner would work or if the laser/headunit has slowly been going bad.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It has something to do with the heat in the unit. Some people have put an aux computer fan on the back of the heat sink and seen some improvment. Unfortunately, it is not a very good radio for several reasons.

·
Registered
378 Posts
When I had the REC it had trouble reading the DVD. I'm not sure how I came to the conclusion to try a burned copy but I did and for whatever reason it read that fine. Obviously since it sits in the unit the entire time it wasn't scratched, I can only assume as the laser gets older it becomes more picky about what it can read, and for whatever reason has an easier time reading a Verbatim DL DVD.

So I'd recommend you find or make yourself a version using that type of media.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am assuming your talking about the NAV CD in the head unit. Mine does the same thing. It goes away but comes back more and more often. The weird thing is that when it comes up as a error, I can turn the map on it works just fine. I have trouble removing the plastic piece to eject the NAV CD so I will try to work on that and see what happens.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mine is starting to do it. I never use it, i don't think it's user friendly. I thought about purchasing another CD since mine is so out dated but it's like 200 bucks. If anything I will just remove the Nav Cd for good. If I figure anything out, I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If I figure anything out, I will keep you posted.
It's been figured out, try a burned disk. You can get them fairly cheap, easily less than 30 bucks.

I'm not saying that's the 100% fix, but it's worked for me and certainly worth trying. Especially since you'll get in motion restrictions removed and the newest version of the software.

·
1,993 Posts
You have to know how to downlaod and search for torrents. I told my wife to download one a while back she was able to find it and download it I just never did anything with it other then that. I think she uses bitlord to download with then you'll need a DVD burning software a decent one. Or I think eBay has them for cheap that's Where those guys get there's from. So if you can figure it out you cut out the middle man.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Mine was getting errors last spring. The disk looked perfect, but I was told that after time the disks go bad even though they look fine. I looked on EBAY a bunch of times and one time I saw someone selling copies of the 2010 disk for less than $50. The auction was for less than 24 hours so I snapped one up. It works fine.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm not sure I'd say the disk went bad, I think it's more likely the laser got weaker over time and wasn't capable of reading the disk. Otherwise what caused it to go bad?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The problem is solved now that I bought a 2009 DVD from another poster on the board..

So it's not the laser, it's the DVD.

Although now I am having problems with the screen going blank, sigh.

Like anything else, the manufacturer wants their product to be consumed so that you have to buy a new one... the DVDs are probably designed to inherently go bad after a while.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts