Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 and while driving to Kentucky, all of a sudden the maps disappeared. Now when you hit NAV, it gives a message saying their are no maps to load. Coincidentally, the picture I loaded doesn't show anymore. Is there a hard-reset for the radio or has anyone seen this? Radio works well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I don't have the NAV system, so take this total guess with a big grain of salt.

I do have a 2010 with the Satellite Radio, and Chrysler/Sirrus was doing the 1 year introductory free service deal. We fell in love with the Satellite Radio and then one day the Satellite radio just turned off and would only give the phone number of Sirrus if we tried to turn it back on. i.e. our free year was up.

Could the NAV system have the same deal? You get maps for a year for free, then you have to pay for them, your year is up?

·
Registered
108 Posts
not for sure but I hink the maps are loaded onto the unit thus one shouldnt have any fees to pay. Sounds more like a software/hard drive problem. Have you tried updating the system? you might want to look on chryslers mygig site for info on updates. Hope this helps and happy jeepin Y'all

·
Registered
108 Posts
This might also help: In the "Engineering Mode" of the MyGIG, there is an option to reset to factory defaults. To get to engineering mode, press the "Seek Up", "Seek Down" and "Menu" keys simultaneously.

Scroll down to "Reset to Factory Defaults", touch it, you'll get a confirmation prompt. If you choose "Yes", everything is, as the name implies, reset to defaults. Doing this will likely cause you to lose all presets, address book entires, etc. and, quite frankly, probably won't help with your GPS problem.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
...Sounds more like a software/hard drive problem....
indymtb have you checked that you haven't also lost music stored/copied to the radio also? That would be a clue the hard drive or what ever is used for storage is going bad.

Does the mygig radio still use a hard drive? They haven't switched to flash storage yet?

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did indeed loose an image but haven't checked my mp3's that I loaded. That is a good thing to check. I also thought it was hard drive. I think it is still an HDD because the radio refers to it and there is definitely a fan/spin sound like a mini computer.

I am going to try a hard reset. I didn't even know there was a mygig. I am anxious to check it out.

·
Super Moderator
14,916 Posts
indymtb have you checked that you haven't also lost music stored/copied to the radio also? That would be a clue the hard drive or what ever is used for storage is going bad.

Does the mygig radio still use a hard drive? They haven't switched to flash storage yet?
All RER MyGIG NAV units in Commanders use a hard drive for storage.

Data File Transfer/Storage:
  • 2007 RER models: 20 GB HDD for Nav, Photo, Music (7 GB available for storage)
  • 2008-up RER models: 30 GB HDD for Nav, Photo, Music (17 GB available for storage)
  • 2007-2008 REN models: 20 GB HDD for Nav, Photo, Music (7 GB available for storage)
  • 2009-up REN models: 30 GB HDD for Nav, Photo, Music (17 GB available for storage)
  • 2010-up RBZ models: 30 GB HDD for Nav, Photo, Music (17 GB available for storage)
  • USB 2.0 port interface
  • JPEG photo viewer
  • Customizable screen background using your own photos
  • Music file transfer
  • CD/DVD to HDD

·
Premium Member
691 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,916 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Unfortunately, just like the first iPods that used mechanical hard drives, they are delicate machines and in an environment with vibration and shock, they can be easily damaged.

I don't know the actual reliability of the mygig radios, but common sense tells me the mechanical hard drives or likely the most susceptible part to failure in a vehicle. The flash storage, that iPods use now is much more rugged and will NOT fail from vibration and shock, I'd think they would have switched by now.

Hopefully your still in warranty or there is a way to replace the drive cheaply.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts