Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonder how much it would cost to swap from the standard sound system to the nave system, I have several nav systems but like the looks of the built in system.

·
Registered
24 Posts
All you have to do is buy it on ebay... if you can find it. You have to get the REC model. The procedure can be found on www.wkjeeps.com. Personally if you're going to spend the money I'd get the New Pioneer system at best buy. It'll also let you watch movies, add a rear camera, and have real time trafic updates through xm.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'll check out best buy and see what they have. I had built a computer running XP and a 7 inch screen, Street Atlas 2006 that I have been using in my jeep. I just thought the intergrated system would be less hassle :)

Slomar said:
All you have to do is buy it on ebay... if you can find it. You have to get the REC model. The procedure can be found on www.wkjeeps.com. Personally if you're going to spend the money I'd get the New Pioneer system at best buy. It'll also let you watch movies, add a rear camera, and have real time trafic updates through xm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Nav system in dash is awesome! I would highly recommend but at $2000, it IS a bit pricey. Sometimes you get what you pay for though if you go for another aftermarket system that's not tailored to fit. This one still holds 6-discs and then the map disc as well. The "on" dash model does look goofy though. go for the indash mount if you can afford.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Jangy said:
Pioneer has nothing on the factory system.
Jeep also don't like XM.
Agree 100%. This is one of the best factory installed stereo systems I have come across and this is coming from someone who has owned just about everything under the sun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jangy,

You mention that the "Pioneer has nothing on the factory system" Have you done a side by side evaluation on the two systems, if can you provide a breakdown.

BTW, I live in Temecula and work in San Diego and just purchase a Commander to replace our 01 GC V8 4x4 , last week-end for my wife. I got the 4X4, 4.7 V8 Dark Khaki.

Are you planning any mods?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Can the screen be turned off while listening to the radio with this system? Last night I played the radio while parked with the engine off and the screen was very annoying and stayed at full brightness when the headlights were off. I would also prefer to just see the time on the screen when driving and playing a CD or listening to the radio.

By the way, how do I start a new post on this forum?

Thanks

·
Registered
157 Posts
go under forum title you want to post under and at the top left there is a bar that says new thread. click that and post away

·
Registered
124 Posts
kman62 said:
Jangy,

You mention that the "Pioneer has nothing on the factory system" Have you done a side by side evaluation on the two systems, if can you provide a breakdown.

BTW, I live in Temecula and work in San Diego and just purchase a Commander to replace our 01 GC V8 4x4 , last week-end for my wife. I got the 4X4, 4.7 V8 Dark Khaki.

Are you planning any mods?
The factory system has LOTS of features that are integrated with the car. The Nav itself is very nice, and second only to the acura system. It is powered by Navtec (the best). The stereo is good for a factory system. The pioneer may be better at that part.
Little things that Pioneer just isn't going to have:

• The integrated telephone hooked up to the Nav (i.e. look up a restaurant and push call, order food, pick it up and go home). All on one screen!
  • The maintenance reminders.
  • Sirius Integrated with a year free.
  • The built in address book WITH phone numbers
  • Ability to control the rear entertainment system and pull a feed off of it.
  • Anyone try burning a DVD and listening to LOTS of music? I do.
Could go on, but it gets old.

I have done some cosmetic mods (bull bar, etc.). I also have Goodyear MT/Rs (265/70/17). i am waiting for the Rock Rails and I want a 1-2" lift. Other than that, i am trying to setup a rear camera, but that is it.

If you want to go wheelin in the San Diego area, let me know and I am down!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I did not think you could add a camera to the stock system? Also did you plan on changing your tire or rim size after you put a lift on it?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've heard that one is "supposed" to be available later this year. Right now, the only thing my dealer could point to was the Mopar cam system with it's own screen.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you choose to install a Nav system later does it plug right in and do all of the other controls works that same as if it were installed at the factory? Do the stearing wheel control's work the same? I didn't order a factory unit but was thinking of adding one later and I was just wondering if I would loose any functions because I didn't get it factory installed.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
"Ability to control the rear entertainment system and pull a feed off of it."... you mean you can view whats playing on the rear entertainment system on the Nav system??? Is this possible without any modification to the system?

·
Registered
68 Posts
You can change the brightness of the display in the settings menue but I haven't seen any automatic dimming yet wrt daylight/night or headlights on/off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The factory in dash Navigation system is available on Mopar's site. It is listed under "Audio/Video and Electronics" then under "radios"...not Navigation systems. And yes it will run you a pretty penny....1795.00 plus the new face plate bezel which cost 85.00. I found it on another website too and it was the same price. So for the same cost you can get the new Pioneer Navigation system, and be able to watch DVD's on the front screen. Seems like a no brainer to me. Circuit City has the new Pioneer System on sale online right now. Saves you like 300 bucks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts