Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nav system is lost! It thinks it's 100 miles or more away from where it is. I could understand if it didn't work at all or just didn't know where it is, but it works just as it always has except that the icon is way, way off. I did a search and read several posts that mentioned being slightly off (worst being about 5 miles) and occurring once or just a few times, but mine is lost and I can't get it back! Any help would be appreciated, as I am nearly 2 hours away from my dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I'm having the same problem, it will get lost for no reason. It seems prone to losing the satellite signal for some reason. Going to have the dealer check the CANBUS to make sure that its enabled properly for the Nav unit.

If that doesn't fix the problem I'll probably go aftermarket since they seem to be more reliable.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
My nav system has a similar fault, but only when I have my Wireless Police Speed Camera warning system turned 'ON'

Si

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Did you install the NAV unit after you bought the truck or did it come with it? Have the dealer make sure that NAV setting in the CAN-B Bus is enabled; this controls the dead reckoning portion of the NAV unit. My dealer did this and it solved the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its the factory installed unit, and I don't have any aftermarket electronics. Since posting the question, I've had it back to the local dealer and they have tried an upgrade disk which didn't help. I'm taking it back in Monday morning so they can take out the unit and try another one. They have talked with Alpine and are following their suggestions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update. It was the radio. They replaced mine with one out of a new Dodge truck and it worked as it should. They have ordered a new one for the Commander which will come with the latest disk.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I figured out my Nav problem: I have the wrong antenna! My used system came our of a Dodge, so the antenna mount plate is flat, not L shaped, so the antenna can't grab the GPS signals correctly. I just ordered one from my dealer, it'll be here next week, I'll see if that corrects the getting lost issue. This is after I bought another brand new REC on Ebay and installed it last night!

Here's what the antenna looks like on ebay: L GPS Antenna.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the replacement nav/radio installed today. Seems to be working OK but I haven't had a chance to really check it out yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts