Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, after many months of work by some pretty brilliant hackers out there a patch has been made available that defeats the 10 mph "in-motion" restriction for entering data and functions on the REC nav units. Now passengers (not drivers!!) can enter in destinations while on the go.

The hack requires that you have the latest "AE" version software. You copy the files to your hard drive, run an .exe patch utility to modify one of the files, then put everthing back together as an ISO file which you then burn a dual-layer DVD from. Works great!!

Full details can be found at http://www.carhack.org/forum (from there go to the LX Platform Hacking section). On the same site is a link where you can download all of the AE files via a "torrent" link.

Although I'm just relaying this info from another site. A nice gesture from someone would be to burn me a copy, i would gladly pay for the DVD and shipping costs, you can PM me.....Thanks all and much love to the Hackers and original poster of this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I read through the other thread... Are you certain that it will work for the unit in our Commander. I viewed the software version in my Commander and it didn't look like the one that they were talking about but I didn't write it down so I'm not 100% sure.

If it will work then I would also be interested. I really hate that I can't enter an address while my wife is driving or visa versa.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
The only things I worry about: 1.) screwing something up and making the system unusable. 2.) getting attached to the functionality and then having to wait for someone to hack it again when a new version comes out.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rubicontrail.net said:
The only things I worry about: 1.) screwing something up and making the system unusable. 2.) getting attached to the functionality and then having to wait for someone to hack it again when a new version comes out.
1. I dont know how this could happen. 2. i guess you would just have to deal with this if the AF version came with an even newer firmware.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
HeavyRotation said:
1. I dont know how this could happen.
Trust me with my luck that I have with electronics and computers it somehow would. :D

HeavyRotation said:
2. i guess you would just have to deal with this if the AF version came with an even newer firmware.
I am pretty sure it will. What I prefer would be that from the factory, if a driver gets in and is presented with the agreement that they have two choices... yes, you agree to to obey traffic laws, etc. - OR - you agree to to obey traffic laws, etc. AND to allow in-motion navigation.

·
Registered
109 Posts
can on the UK spec!! it gives a warning about driving, hit enter to agree and off you go, full functionality whilst driving...for your passengers!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ok so in the UK you not only drive on the wrong side of the road...you guys are playing with your navigation as well?????????????? Just kidding.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Main reason for this situation is USA LAWYERS sueing Jeep if some poor fool had an accident while playing with his GPS with the vehicle in motion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks guys. I ended up finding out the hardway. It does not work. I have to get something done to it and they charge 1,300 Euros (Which makes it not worth it).

Thanks for the input!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I can confirm that this worked in my '06 Limited with REC radio. In fact, it works great!

The AE ISO is out there, btw. Torrents are your friend.

PM me if you need help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts