Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an 06 command sport. The head unit has NAV/VES with 6 cd changer but no SAT. Being a newbie to Jeeps I have no clue what type of head unit I have. My question is, what do I need to purchase to add SAT (SIRIUS) to this radio if it is possible? Thanks for all help.

Robert

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Can you post a pic of the unit ?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
My question is, what do I need to purchase to add SAT (SIRIUS) to this radio if it is possible?
I would just contact Sirius and purchase a separate unit that you can move from car to car as needed.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
I would just contact Sirius and purchase a separate unit that you can move from car to car as needed.
He may already have sat radio--we just need to find out which unit he has.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
He may already have sat radio--we just need to find out which unit he has.
Yes, but since he has an '06 he will not get free activation for a year like many of us did.

Since he is activating a new radio his best option is a potable unit that he can move between cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I examined the radio this morning and it's an REC model. I would prefer to have SIRIUS directly through the headunit and not have a separate unit. Thanks in advace for the help.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Do you have the Sirius satellite radio and just want to activate it? If so, you call them and give them a credit card number and the radio serial number and they will activate it. They can tell you how to get the serial number once you call.

I would be surprised if it doesn't already have the satellite radio in it. Like Jeep5253 said, a pic of the head unit would help.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
I examined the radio this morning and it's an REC model. I would prefer to have SIRIUS directly through the headunit and not have a separate unit. Thanks in advace for the help.
The REC unit is already set up for Sirius. You should have a "SAT" tab on the screen between the "CD" and "VES" tabs. Push the mode button underneath the screen to change between these three functions. You will have to call Sirius to activate the sat radio.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
No SAT tab. Attached is picture of radio.
That's strange. I don't know what to tell you. I have not seen an REC without Sirius.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
No SAT tab.
That's strange. I don't know what to tell you. I have not seen an REC without Sirius.
There is no sat tab because there is no sat receiver attached. My radio did not show the VES tab until I purchased and installed the VES.

Look under the second row seats and see if you have the satalite reciever in your vehicle. We will then know if it just needs attached in the back of the head unit or if you do not have SAT at all.

And... where it is in the grand scheme of things:

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
There is no sat tab because there is no sat receiver attached. My radio did not show the VES tab until I purchased and installed the VES.

Look under the second row seats and see if you have the satalite reciever in your vehicle. We will then know if it just needs attached in the back of the head unit or if you do not have SAT at all.
Good call.:)

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Cool.. don't mean to threadjack, but I was wondering where the Sirius receiver was located.

Cheers!

-Blu

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts