Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my commander, I stepped up to it from an 03 Wrangler Rubicon and I would never look back again! My parents just took delivery of an 06 Grand Cherokee Limited with the 4.7 and navigation system and all the goodies. When I went for the commander I did not get the Navigation sytem but now I am thinking about it. I have seen the Mopar in dash system (REC dealer code) priced anywhere from $1,100-$1,700. I talked to my dealership general manager and he said that the mopar system isn't worth buying and that I would be better off buying an external unit and getting it installed at a local electronics shop. He told me that the Mopar system is something that is added at the time you buy the car and that its not worth it doing it now and by having a dash mounted unit I could just pull it out and put it into another car. He also told me the aftermarket units are more advanced, he compared it apples to oranges and said mopars system is out of date using a DVD and that most aftermarket units have hard drives that are updateable for free. I figure he may be onto something becuase he just passed up a $1,700 unit plus a few hundred for install for his dealership. I like the look of the indash unit, I don't like having things mounted on my dash or around my car. The manager also told me that i would have to order a new dash bezel to accomodate the GPS navigation system from mopar, does anyone know if thats true?
I already took the dash off once and it was very easy to do (sattelite radio install) and yes the dash bolts are functional! but the front bezel comes off in one entire big piece, I can't imagine how much they must be getting for that. Anyone who has upgraded their commander to the mopar nav system or anyone elses input would be greately appreciated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the built in Nav system in my Commander, and also have it in my wife's 2k3 GC. We like both even though they are on a DVD and the GC operates from the steering wheel and the Comander doesn't. The DVD of course is dated, and updates are ongoing for a price. But so are the updates on my neighbor's vehicle (I think it's an Acura) and his updated data is about the same price as a DVD for the Jeep Nav System.

I have never heard of any company giving free updates for somthing that would be marketable and never ending but I could be wrong.

We have used the Nav System in the GC to go from Seattle to L.A. then to OKC and back to Seattle...Worked just fine. I too don't like anything mounted on the dash.

JC

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
You shouldn't need a new bezel. The nav system is a full dual-DIN component. You lose the little shelf above the audio system.

I think some high-end (Mercedes, etc.) provide lifetime updates to the discs for "free". But in reality you are really paying for them up front.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Unfortunately, you do lose the bezel, and a new one costs around $85, iirc. The aperture for the REC is not the same size as the lesser stereo (which I also have) and you need a new one to accomodate it. You do indeed lose the little cubby above the radio cutout if you add the REC/new bezel...

There's a guy offering RECs on eBay for around 900, I think, but I'm not sure if that includes everything you need, for instance, not sure it includes the GPS antenna that is part of the install. I know it doesn't include the bezel.

As you can see, I've been researching the same swap...

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
124 Posts
jschoepp said:
I love my commander, I stepped up to it from an 03 Wrangler Rubicon and I would never look back again! My parents just took delivery of an 06 Grand Cherokee Limited with the 4.7 and navigation system and all the goodies. When I went for the commander I did not get the Navigation sytem but now I am thinking about it. I have seen the Mopar in dash system (REC dealer code) priced anywhere from $1,100-$1,700. I talked to my dealership general manager and he said that the mopar system isn't worth buying and that I would be better off buying an external unit and getting it installed at a local electronics shop. He told me that the Mopar system is something that is added at the time you buy the car and that its not worth it doing it now and by having a dash mounted unit I could just pull it out and put it into another car. He also told me the aftermarket units are more advanced, he compared it apples to oranges and said mopars system is out of date using a DVD and that most aftermarket units have hard drives that are updateable for free. I figure he may be onto something becuase he just passed up a $1,700 unit plus a few hundred for install for his dealership. I like the look of the indash unit, I don't like having things mounted on my dash or around my car. The manager also told me that i would have to order a new dash bezel to accomodate the GPS navigation system from mopar, does anyone know if thats true?
I already took the dash off once and it was very easy to do (sattelite radio install) and yes the dash bolts are functional! but the front bezel comes off in one entire big piece, I can't imagine how much they must be getting for that. Anyone who has upgraded their commander to the mopar nav system or anyone elses input would be greately appreciated.

Dude, you should look into it. Talking to the GM of a dealer about Navs isn't the way to go. To him, a retail sale from parts isn't exactly worth HIS time, so why would he tell you the truth. There are two types of Mopar navs. The one that is integrated with the sound system is the one that I am talking about and I assume so are you. It was NOT added to mine, i am sure of that. I also know that it is a Navtec based system with WAY more features than ANY other except the Acura one. Which othe one can I use as a yellow pages AND make a phone call to order my food by pushing a simple button??

p.s. Mercedes does NOT give jack away, much less DVD updates. the subscription is almost $500 for 3 years. But, don't forget that DVD based navs are, well DVD (burner?) based. I know that some Benz owners "share" copies of their newer versions. I will deal with it when new ones come out.

·
Registered
200 Posts
BY the way, if you remove the factory radio and install an aftermarket (as I was contemplating doing), you will impact the uConnect and Rear Assist Park System since they both play through the radio.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Navigation System? Just pick up a Garmin hand held- I picked up the Vista C which is handheld GPS system and have mounted it on my dash. I can take with me on the trail or slap it on my handlebars on my bicycle. All the data is downloadable to show about ever statistic of your trip. You can purchase maps and trails to upload. I recently used it to plan my trip to Michigan. I spent 1/3 of the cost on something smaller but more practical. If you got the cash....you can get both... ;)

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVistac/

·
Registered
200 Posts
I actually have both Delorme Street Atlas for the laptop and TomTom Navigator for my Treo 650 - but plan to use the Nav option when in the Commander for the simple reason that I don't want to clutter the brand-new vehicle too much, including having wires all over and a Christmas-tree cig lighter socket. I really wanted the Nav system because I like the screen for the radio perspective, and I am hoping that Mopar comes out with the rumored backup camera that integrates with it. The Treo nav will be used while on business trips, and the laptop used for... Well.. I don't know anymore. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts