Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, not sure where to post this so please forgive me if its in the wrong place and dont hesitate to move it if necessary.

We just purchased a used 06 Commander (65th Anniversary & Black!!) and only received one key (with the build on fob).

My question is what do i need to buy in order to have another key or keys made? Does the key have to have a chip in it? Or can I just buy a blank and then a fob from ebay and go to the dealer and have them program it & have anyone cut the key?

I am aware that if I had two keys already, I could program a third myself but alas, we only received one lol.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Yes, the key has a chip in it, there's probably a part number on the back cover of the key. You can buy one on ebay but make sure it has never been programmed before. The problem is that with only one key you have to take the vehicle to the dealer and have them program the other key. Did you buy the vehicle from a Chrysler dealer?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. The local dealer said they would program the fob for 40 bucks which I expected to be more.
We got the Commander from a used car place near where we live and I am sure he purchased it from an auction before that. It only had one owner who took really good care of it before she traded it in. The reason we got it was because of that & the fact we got all her service records (ALL of them). Its a bit high in the miles, but we love it except for the fact that the dealer we bought it from put in the lowest class stock radio, no floor mats and only one key and the radio gets NO reception unless you are right near the station (my next project).

So basically, i should just try to find a blank key on ebay with the fob on it that hasnt been programmed? If I cant find one, I will just get the dealer to do it all regardless the price.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Key part numbers listed are 05143446AA 05183349AA one of those part numbers is with a panic button and the other is without. I believe 05143553AA is a key with a chip to start the engine but doesn't have any transmitter buttons for locks etc. If you can get even the 05143553AA key cheap and have the dealer program that one, you will then have two keys programmed which will allow you to program the 3rd and more yourself.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
So basically, i should just try to find a blank key on ebay with the fob on it that hasnt been programmed? If I cant find one, I will just get the dealer to do it all regardless the price.
Like people have been telling you, get the key by part number, there a lot of Chrysler Keys with Chips that look alike, NOT all of them will work.

If you go into a bad Dealer and tell them just to make you a 2nd key, the bill can easily be $500. (Well at least for the later FOBIK keys, maybe it wouldn't go that high for the earlier xpdr keys). Like anytime you deal with service and repair, especially with a Dealer, get all costs explained up front and a commitment to stand by those prices before authorizing the work.

I'd try hard to get one off e-bay for 1/10th the price the dealer charge.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, you can NOT reprogram a used key, only a new key can be made to work with your vehicle. (Maybe that is just the later FOBIK as well, but I think its true of the earlier xpdr keys as well). Make sure its a seller with a good rating, and they state the keys are new and never used, if its used key, its probably worthless and will never work for your vehicle. If you find a seller on ebay with feedback saying they ripped people off, then its likely they may be selling used Keys to unsuspecting buyer that don't know they won't work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts