Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Commander and everything is stock. I like the original chrome wheels, but the tire size looks pretty weak under such a big vehicle. I want to raise it about 1.5 to 2" and put on a larger tire. I'd like to keep the original wheels. No heavy duty offroading, this is more-or-less for appearance. What's the best way to accomadate a taller and wider tire?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I put a 2" Teraflex budget lift on my XK and will be adding either the AEV commander wheels with the proper offset to accommadate bigger tires or will add 1.25" wheel spacer to the stock wheels. I have been happy with the Teraflex lift but most of the 2" lifts are the same concept.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have the rocky road 2.25 kit. I really like it, no complaints here. it gives a bit stiffer ride, much better ground clearance, and gets rid of the "stink bug" stance. Fairly easy installation, to boot. Here is an earlier thread of mine that has a few installation pointers:
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1901
I think I read somewhere here that rocky road is no longer supplying the DT shocks with the kit, so I can't vouch for those shocks, but the doesche techs are working great for me.
-Hemi

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody! I ordered the Rocky Road so I'll let you know how it turns out...
anybody else having the infamous "whistle" problem around the windshield area? I've read several threads about it. I guess I need to have a dealer check it unless it's something I can tackle myself.

·
Registered
577 Posts
UberCommander said:
I just ordered the RR lift with shocks. The shocks are HYDRO shocks.
When I bought my kit, their site said"hydro" shocks, but they were the Doestche Tech. You might want to call them to find out for sure

·
Registered
1,186 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
kristitwister said:
Thanks everybody! I ordered the Rocky Road so I'll let you know how it turns out...
anybody else having the infamous "whistle" problem around the windshield area? I've read several threads about it. I guess I need to have a dealer check it unless it's something I can tackle myself.
I had the whistle noise, if you are talking about around 60 mph, and in warmer weather, it is the same problem that I had. The upper trim strip on the windshield needs to be resealed - Here is a link to all TSB's out, this one included. I fixed it myself in about ten minutes, rather that leaving it at the dealer

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522

-Hemi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts