Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking for quite a while now. Ive narrowed my search for a new vehicle down to a commander, no question. The vehicles in my price range are 06's and 07,s and I absolutely love the forest green!

Im actually upgrading from a 2003 GMC sierra pick up truck (V8).

I do quite a bit of traveling around town for work but definitely want the commander for the reliability of it.

So initially I wanted the V6 commander because of the idea that the V6 would get better MPG than the V8... Ive been talking to people and doing some research and have come up with the notion that a V8 is more fitting for a commander in terms of power than the V6.

The MPG wouldnt be necessarily better but due to the power of the V8 engine, it wouldnt struggle so much to pull the vehicle resulting in more suitable MPG and less stress on the vehicle. (If that makes any sense)

Ive looked on a fuel efficiency website to compare the V6 and V8 and its not really that much of a difference. Something like 15 city and 20 highway for a V6 and 14 city and 19 for the 4.7 V8. Both actually average out at 15 MPG.

Anyways, I wanted the V6 initially but found a pretty good looking deal on a V8 (2006, 85000 miles, forest green, moon roof, $11400). Its exactly what I want besides the V8 engine.

So, obviously, my question is: What would you guys recommend? V8 or V6? Is the difference in MPG in the two drastic in anyway?

Your insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Everything I've read has mileage about 1-2 mpg's different from v6 to v8.

If you ever intend to offroad the v8 will be better since it will have 4lo, if you think you might tow something then obviously v8 will be better.

I have the hemi, and the best mileage I've seen is 18 mpg, so take that for what it's worth based on the epa rating.. And since adding oversized tires it's been down to 17ish..

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything I've read has mileage about 1-2 mpg's different from v6 to v8.

If you ever intend to offroad the v8 will be better since it will have 4lo, if you think you might tow something then obviously v8 will be better.

I have the hemi, and the best mileage I've seen is 18 mpg, so take that for what it's worth based on the epa rating.. And since adding oversized tires it's been down to 17ish..

I dont need to tow, or have 7 passengers or off road or anything crazy. Just drive around town everyday for work related purposes. But I want a commander for the reliability factor and the fact that they are just completely awesome!

So would the V6 be the smarter choice? If so, by how much?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I drive all day each day for work, I got the hemi (happened to find one same price and year as 4.7) for what you said about less stress on the powertrain for longevity reasons. Mpgs aren't that big a difference between the v6 and v8s I feel I may save a couple bucks not blowing my engine hauling it's own weight around. Mix city and highway my avg mpgs bounce between 21 and 12, and I never reset the reader.
I'm driving a used '06 stock 5.7l. I put on about 500-900miles/week, get regular oil changes, oil is never even dirty, and I have 80000mi on it.

On saying that, I've only had it since last October; but I feel like I can rely on it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just bought a '06 Commander with the 4.7L. Very happy with it. I towed 2 jet skis around the other week. Not that they weigh that much, but I didn't even notice they were there. The 4.7L is the perfect "everyday" engine for the Commander IMO.

Sounds to me like you've found the vehicle you want already though - go get it!

·
Registered
954 Posts
I have a V6 and don't need the extra power since this is my daily commuter but if I did it all over again I would definitely go with at least the 4.7 V8. I do some off roading once in a while so the 4LO would come in handy.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, please keep the info and advice coming. Im still kind of on the fence. How much more do you think the 4.7 would really cost on a weekly or monthly basis in terms of gas? percentage wise?

Like I said, I just need the commander for driving around the city all day locally. No towing, no off roading, nothing more than just buzzing around.

But is the V6 really fit for such a beastly vehicle like this?

I have heard a lot of people say they feel like the V6 doesnt cut it and isnt powerful enough. But in terms of MPG, whats the trade off?

·
Registered
36 Posts
They say it's 1-2mpg difference between the V6 and the 4.7L V8 and the Hemi. I don't feel like doing the math to figure out the % difference that would be on a weekly/monthly basis in terms of gas. All 3 engines have been proven to be reliable pending proper maintenance.

What it comes down to is would you like to have the little extra power that the 4.7L or even the Hemi offers, or would you like to save 1-3mpgs?

The way I look at it is you're buying an unaerodynomic American SUV. Sacrifice 1-2mpg and get the V8 that will leave you whipping a dirty grin off your face when you stomp on the gas to pass some soccer mom. Oh the sound of a V8!

Edit: You did the math and the V6 and the 4.7L end up averaging the same MPG's...
I think that 2006 you found is a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If your are buying a Commander, the mileage shouldn't be a concern because non of them are great and somewhat similar in that department. I have the 2007 4.7 V8 and it's perfect for me. Also, it has only 8 spark plugs, not 16 from 2008 on. It has been extremely efficient and reliable. I also like that it has 4 wheel low if I should need it. Good luck!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Id go with a v8. The mileage difference, as everyone already mentioned, is negligible. Yet the commander will move so much easier than with a 6-cylinder. in addition, you are getting a very good tranny - 545rfe, proven over many years on various applications, 3.73s in the diffs and if i'm not mistaken, QT2 or QD2, which are both excellent 4wd systems.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I had the Grand Cherokee that weighed about 750 lbs less and it had the 6cyl. It always performed with no problem. I do, however, love the v8 and am glad I opted for it with the QDII.

·
Registered
451 Posts
My 09 Hemi is my daily driver during the winter/summer, I daily drive my 90 4.0 inline six Cherokee during the fall/spring.

To be honest, the Hemi gets about the same mileage as the little 4.0 inline six does and the XJ(Cherokee) weighs nearly 2,000 pounds less!

i say get the Hemi, I do not regret it. I was taught at a young age that when you buy a car get the biggest/best engine/tranny combo. I do not know much about what the tranny is behind the Hemi but i do know that the Hemi is a hell of a motor and it will amaze you.

A good friend of mine convinced me that the XK(Commander) was a great vehicle. His 06 Hemi has 170,000 trouble free miles on it! He travels for a living. He is ready to trade it in and he wishes he could start with another new one as he does not like the new GC's.

Get the Hemi! JMHO

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree with the comments. I went with the 4.7 on my 06 and do not regret it. The fuel mileage is similar on all of these engines anyway.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I get 22mpg all around with my 3.7.. V8 engines will not get anywhere near that number.. The V6 is not as fun to drive as the V8 but V8's eat more gas, more spark plugs = more fuel.. If you need to tow something alot, I would buy the V8 but the 3.7 is a great little motor for everyday driving and you save 4-5 MPG over the V8..

·
Registered
263 Posts
Buying Commanders is more coming from the heart than the brain. Mileage is in the negative column for Commander owners. The Hemi would be first choice due to the sheer horsepower perspective. The 4.7L, which I have, is smooth and reliable. I haven't wanted for any more power. The V-6 is slightly less powerful than the 4.7, and seems like a good choice these days when gas prices are high (despite the meager differance in mileage). The main point for me ( My 2 cents ) between V-8's vs V-6's is the RPM's at cruise. V-6's will rev higher, thus putting more stress and wear on engine parts. IMHO.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My 3.7 runs 2000rpm's at 65mph.. In fifth gear it is weak unless your on the highway.. I'm use to driving a V8 turbo diesel so my jeep seems weak to me but after I drive for few days and stay out of the truck, it doesn't seem to bother me as much.. I do use the downshift on hills once in a while.. If I lived were it was very hilly, I would opt for a V8..

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have an 08 V6 with Magnaflow catback exhaust and I average 17mpg city. It has improved throttle response, a better sound and better airflow. I am also getting a ported and polished throttle body to add to it. So if you make a few mods you can get decent mpg and have enough power for almost anything, in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
My mom has an '06 with the 4.7; I have an '06 with the HEMI. She drives 70 mi/day and gets 18 mpg. I get 17-18 depending on whether I'm doing 65 or 70 mph. Basically the same milage but the HEMI will hustle my Jeep like a gunshot when I need it, and brother, at 6200 lbs these bad mama-jamas can use the hustle.

My best guess is that if you want to maximize milage, get the 4.7, add a CAI, better exhaust, stay on top of the maintenance and keep your foot out of it. Who knows, you may crack 20mpg with a tailwind. If you occasionally want to regulate poseur chumps in zippy sedans, nothing beats the HEMI.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts