Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this horse has been beat to death, but no one seems dumb enough to put 20's on an XK, so indulge me. And yes I have used the searches.

I was fixing to pull the trigger on a 2" levelling kit for the XK, tired of driving downhill all the time....but....

I thought I had it all figured out, level it then take the 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/s off of my GMC, get a set of spacers and use the factory wheels. Then the wife(it is HER vehicle) says that SHE wants the wheels that SHE wants. So here they are...

Factory Reproduction SRT-8 Grand Cherokee
20"x9" with 6.34" backspace. So what I'm thinking is
go with a 275/55R20 all terrain. They average at
31.75" tall and 10.75" wide. Of course it varies with
brand and tread. IF all else fails a 265/50R20 will fit
for sure with no rubbing. I think a 285/50R20 will be
too wide and will rub due to width and square profile.
I'd prefer not to run spacers if I can get away with it
and I dont mind a little creative metal/plastic massaging
but don't want to start cutting metal.

Any thoughts would be great, and NO I won't be able to
change her mind about the 20" wheels. It is just a mall
crawler that will see the mountains 3-4 times a year.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I agree with your findings.
You would have to stay about the same front tire size as the SRT8 for all 4 corners on the Commander.
That tire is a 255/45/ZR 20.
I think you would have to stay with that 45% cross section though which REALLY limits your choices.
Add to that, the tire sidewall will be so short that just about any offroad stuff will cut the tire or damage the rim.
Sooooo, is this vehicle really going offroad or is that reserved for your Chevy?
BTW, I am aware the 5 lug Chev wheels fit but the backspacing is much too extreme and will ram the tire into the inner fender anytime a turn is made.....looks cool though.

Anyways, if your building a ool mall crawler the SRT8 wheels and the 255/45's would be a slick looker.

Rob

·
Registered
809 Posts
JRod,
I have a 2" lift and 275/60/17's that fit wonderfully. The tires (Hankook Ventus) have a fairly square edge to them and fill roughly the same area as a 275/45/R20. With 1.5" spacers on the stock wheels I get no rubbing, with about 1/3" of space left between the edge of the tire at turn and the wheelwell molding. I have also run them without spacers with no rubbing, but it just doesn't look as good. Here's a couple pics of the spaces (with 1.5" spacers):

Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the pics and thoughts. I'm thinking that the sure bet will be the 265/50R20 maybe in a Nitto Terra grappler. They are 30.5x10.5 and still carry a decent tread depth. And they are cheaper too!!!!

Any more thoughts are welcome though. Main concern is the offset and the wheel being 9" width. But it works on the grand.......

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New plan.....I told her that these wheels wouldn't fit with tires that would give her the look she wants. So now here is the plan. Not sold on the wheels but they are less expensive, pretty much a correct fit and are still 17" wheels.

17X8.5 +18mm offset
These with a set of 265/70R17 BFG all terrains(load range C) ought to keep the weight down, the look more aggressive and the ride better with MORE sidewall than factory. I have ran many sets of these in the field, and have had excellent luck out of them. May have to trim or re-shape plastic to keep from rubbing, but I'll deal with that.

Any reason why this wouldn't work????

·
Registered
809 Posts
All that matters is that you post pics of your final set-up! :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
New plan.....I told her that these wheels wouldn't fit with tires that would give her the look she wants. So now here is the plan. Not sold on the wheels but they are less expensive, pretty much a correct fit and are still 17" wheels.

17X8.5 +18mm offset
These with a set of 265/70R17 BFG all terrains(load range C) ought to keep the weight down, the look more aggressive and the ride better with MORE sidewall than factory. I have ran many sets of these in the field, and have had excellent luck out of them. May have to trim or re-shape plastic to keep from rubbing, but I'll deal with that.

Any reason why this wouldn't work????
Some minor trimming may be needed. This tire is about 2" taller than your stock tire.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I realize that, which is why the 2" lift is going on first!! Then I'll trim/mold plastic as necessary after that. These wheels are sold through Discount Tire, and it shows low stock on the web site. Any chance that you could check on that for me?? Or hows about a discount??

·
Registered
391 Posts
I realize that, which is why the 2" lift is going on first!! Then I'll trim/mold plastic as necessary after that. These wheels are sold through Discount Tire, and it shows low stock on the web site. Any chance that you could check on that for me?? Or hows about a discount??
Excellent. Should be a great set up for you. These wheels are currently $50.00 off the set right now. Give us a call if you would like help putting the package together. Any one of our Sales team members will be happy to check for additional discounts or promotions that may be running.

Post some pictures when you get these bolted up.

-Travis

1 - 9 of 9 Posts