Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 2006 commander limited, hemi, 116k miles, one owner, all recalls completed, clear Carfax, etc. Asking price is 8k any thoughts. Am I crazy for buying one with this high miles? Will it be a money pit? What would be your advice and fair offer? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm looking at a 2006 commander limited, hemi, 116k miles, one owner, all recalls completed, clear Carfax, etc. Asking price is 8k any thoughts. Am I crazy for buying one with this high miles? Will it be a money pit? What would be your advice and fair offer? Thanks so much.
Just be careful with the 2006 from what ive heard they have more problems than the later years because it was the first year of production. If it looks good that seems like a really good price and the miles are terrible for the v8 engines.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have an '06 Hemi with 151k miles on it now. It's been very reliable. Most problems with an '06 will have been ironed out and paid for by previous owners once they hit the 100k mile range, and you can expect that if it's a one owner vehicle, the previous owner took care of it and didn't have major problems.

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
I answered this in the "Looking to Buy" thread too;

One owner, all recalls completed and a clean Carfax is a good start, in addition check the following;

Take a good long look underneath it for rust and any signs of damage or impact.

116,000 miles is about average mileage for a 2006 vehicle, so, I wouldn't be concerned about the mileage.

2 other things I would definitely do BEFORE you pull the trigger;

Go to the website URL below and plug in the VIN of the XK you are looking at to see if all the factory re-calls and customer service campaigns have been completed:

Safety Recall Information | MOPAR

Go the website URL below to get your XK's factory build sheet; You can also order an owner's manuals from this same website if your vehicle didn't come with a factory owner's manual.

Dodge - Contact Us

If everything is to your satisfaction at this point, take it for a test drive.

If it drives well and you don't notice anything out of the ordinary, I'd take a shot.

·
Registered
143 Posts
2006 Commander QDII with 165k. Never had any major mechanical issues. Or minor for that matter... Bought new and it's been a tank. Vehicles are only as good as their previous owner / owners. If all the recalls and preventative maintenance have been done, I would drive it. Test everything.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I have an 06 4.7 with 148K 0n the clock, my initial problems were starter related fixed with new wiring harness. Had key issues, but think it was caused by local storm because my wife,s KK had similar problems at the same time. I have had the front differential and two front drive shafts replaced. I should say bought as a dealer owned vehicle in February 06. Also the intake manifold bolts were replaced. It looks new and runs well, plan to keep it for a long time, even willing to replace motor if necessary, but currently no reason to think that would be needed. If in a crash, look at how long ago that was. If was long ago and still the same owner, I would not consider it a problem as long as it looks good. My .02

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Also need to say that car fax does not always tell an accurate picture. It currently says that my 06 has not had all the recalls done, but it has. Also car fax said my wife's KK was still stolen years after it had been recovered. Called FL DMV the day after she was told this and the DMV confirmed to me that their records showed it had been recovered. Plus it only shows what the people servicing your vehicle tell them.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Creek, what did you pay to have your manifold bolts replaced? I've had 3 different quotes written and they're not even close to one another. I'm REALLY not a fan of others touching my vehicles mechanically outside of my father, but this isn't something I want to do myself. My father has owned a Toyota place for 30 years (always owned Toyota / Lexus until this XK purchase in 2005) and he refuses to touch our Jeeps, lol, so I'm always nervous about letting shops service my Jeeps. I'm that guy that stands there and watches the entire time. All three quotes are completely different with what's actually "broken" on each side. Not sure who to trust as I want to replace both manifolds and all bolts at the same time, but I don't know who is telling the truth in their estimate on what actually needs to be replaced. Damn mechanics... (No offense auto tech folks here!)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Reviews said: Its a great vehicle for long drive and a comfortable cruiser that will go anywhere. Although some are complaining with the gas milage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts