Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am in the process of putting in my 3.7l (new) out of my 05 GC into a recently purchased 06 Commander. So far I've done a complete new suspension with the Rocky Road spacer lift, new shocks, Monroe platnum quick struts, new control arms, Moog ball joints, powder coated rims matte black w ALOT of clear and HOPEFULLY 265/70/17 Goodyear Duratracts without rubbing..With my stock GC I don't have the power I want and with the added weight and larger tires on the XK I want some more HP. I don't want to go crazy but I'm definitely getting a cold air and looking for recommendations on plugs? Chips? Has anyone had any good luck with anything that they would recommend? I'm new to the thread and it seems to be the only place that someone recognizes the Commander... Any advice out there? It would be greatly appreciated!! Going to check the WTB/For sale because I'm looking for any upgrades to a 06 3.7 XK inside and out...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
there is not that much available.

I have a Hypertech max energy. It works, but its not a HUGE difference.

I have these plugs that work well. https://www.amazon.com/NGK-ZFR6FIX-11-Iridium-Spark-Plug/dp/B000COVMXI/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Jeep|42&Model=Commander|2817&Year=2009|2009&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=9&vehicleType=automotive Don't expect extra HP though unless your current plugs are in bad shape. I just like the longer service life.

StrongJeff has done a lot of performance mods to his WK:

Six Shooter :: 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Stage 2 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Project "Six Shooter" Build Thread - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
not quite sure about the 06.. but i put a throttle body off a 4.7 on mine..cat back exhaust and headers..
Not an option on the 06. They are not DBW, they have cable actuated throttle bodies, and the 4.7's are the same size IIRC. However you can get them ported and polished!

you can purchase a modded tb at thefastman.com or contact Flyin Ryan Performance on JG.

Flyin'Ryan's Ported/Polished 3.7L TB Review/How-To

3.7L V6 Throttle Bodies - The Fastman

How do you feel about that throttle body mod? I have one from a junkyard sitting around in my garage waiting to be installed...

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
the throttle body sure adds some power.. i ported out the intake a bit alo to move the air more freely..
I actually slapped mine on one evening, but the idle was WAY too high and my wife needed to take it to work the next day so I through the stocker back on and have not messed with it since. I assume that the idle issue fixes itself eventually or I had my IAC unplugged or something.

·
Banned
32 Posts
I actually slapped mine on one evening, but the idle was WAY too high and my wife needed to take it to work the next day so I through the stocker back on and have not messed with it since. I assume that the idle issue fixes itself eventually or I had my IAC unplugged or something.
yeah it does,, you have to have the battery unhooked and the ecu will reset.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I think I'm going to have it ported and polished. Along with the new programmer. It should be on the road within 2 weeks at most so I'm dying to drive it!! I have one from my other 3.7 I can slap on for time being while it's being done.. Thanks a TON for the info.. It's a pain finding info on the commanders.. I've done my fair share of modding almost. Anything from diesel trucks to wranglers but these commanders don't have anything available for them!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lucky,
It' seems cheaper and same product if I have flying Ryan do it. Is there a way to get in touch with him?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked and compared and it's a lot easier to just order, pay a core and send mine back.., so I'm just going to order one. I like simplicity.. The plugs you mentioned I've heard about a few times and already bought them. To start with the TB and Cold air first do you think I'll notice difference? I really don't care about fuel mileage but if I can add 20-30 HP that's all I need. As much as I want a tuner, I don't think the 3.7 is the engine to do it too.. They have enough of there own problems.:. I just want a hemi and be done with it!!!! Any opinions? The engine is a reman with the valve seat problem taken care of.. It's just that the GC it's coming out of lacks where I need that little extra and now I'm adding a lift, tires, bigger wheels, a rack and bumpers (when I can find one... Then after talking to another member he went with the same Rocky Road lift I did.. And he said that the front still sits a little bit lower than rear so I've gota fab something to address that. I thought I was buying a good lift but I want a lebel truck too.. I have new Deutsch shocks and Monron Platnum HD quick Struts so I hope I'm close where it's not noticeable..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts