Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im buyin the superlift and it says in the instructions

"New wheels or wheel spacers required -Due to tight clearance between the front tires and steering knuckles, either the factory wheels must be replaced with different back spaced wheels, or bolt-on wheel spacers must be used. Most factory wheels have 6.5" back spacing. New wheels must have at least 5.75" back spacing with 5.5" preferred. Use 1" to 1.25" bolt-on spacers if factory wheels are retained. The factory spare tire / wheel can be used in emergencies.
Tire fitment- A 285 / 70 series tire (32.7" tall x 11.5" wide) on a 8.5" wide wheel will generally clear without modifying the front inner fender. Using a 305 / 55 series tire (33.2" tall x 12.4" wide) on a 8.5" wide wheel generally requires minor modifications to the inner fenders as detailed in the system's Installation Instructions. "

SO, if im runnin the 33x12.50x17 nittos, would i go with the 5.75 or something like the 5.25 (cause i cant find a spacer/wheel set up that has 5.5). im leanin towards the 5.25 cause these tires are slightly wider. Wich one will rub the least????? figure ill ask the pros!:bowdown:

here are the wheels....

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/MHT-FUEL-Hostage-Wheel.aspx?t_c=11&t_s=210&t_pt=100888&t_pl=101981&t_pn=MHTD53117852652

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/MHT-FUEL-Hostage-Wheel.aspx?t_c=11&t_s=210&t_pt=100888&t_pl=101981&t_pn=MHTD53117852657

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Neither of those wheels you posted are for a 5 on 5 bolt pattern that our Commander have. So they wont work.

·
Registered
392 Posts
17x8.5 with a +18mm offset has basically a 5.5"BS
17x8.5 with a +25mm offset has basically a 5.75BS

17x9 with a +10mm offset has basically a 5.4" BS
17x9 with a 0mm offset has a 5" BS

Here's a link to some of the wheels in your Commander's bolt pattern. I would shoot for an 8.5 with an 18mm offset or a 17x9 with a +10mm offset in order to minimize any modifications you will need to make to run the 33x12.50R17.

(offset is listed in the wheels size) http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findWheelsBySize.do?wd=17&bp=5-127*5-5*5-4.5/5*5-5/5.5&rw=

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
17x8.5 with a +18mm offset has basically a 5.5"BS
17x8.5 with a +25mm offset has basically a 5.75BS

17x9 with a +10mm offset has basically a 5.4" BS
17x9 with a 0mm offset has basicallu a 5" BS

Here's a link to some of the wheels in your Commander's bolt pattern. I would shoot for an 8.5 with an 18mm offset or a 17x9 with a +10mm offset in order to minimize any modifications you will need to make to run the 33x12.50R17.

(offset is listed in the wheels size) http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findWheelsBySize.do?wd=17&bp=5-127*5-5*5-4.5/5*5-5/5.5&rw=
Is there a chart somewhere that states: This much backspacing pushes out the wheel this far? This is easy to figure out using wheel spacers (duh) but it has been very confusing for me to not have some kind of reference chart to compare numbers. Thank you.

·
Registered
392 Posts
There are a few online wheel offset calculators but I just punch the numbers into my calculator.

If you are up for it, here's what I do.

Stock 17" commander wheels are 17x7.5 with a +44mm offset.

I can calculate backspace if I know the width and offset by using this formula:

BS = ((rim width + 1") / 2 ) + (offset x 25.4)​

I can then calculate Frontspace if I know Width and BS by using this formula.

FS = (Rim width + 1") - Backspace​

Do this for the stock wheel and the new wheel then compare. This will tell you how where your new wheels will sit compared to your stock wheels. If you want to factor in the tire too, do so. You can use the tire size calculator in our signature below.

-Travis

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Yeah but that doesnt show how far the new tire/wheel package will stick out compared to the oem tires and wheels. I can answer any question when it comes to that and let you know exactly how far out its going to sit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Neither of those wheels you posted are for a 5 on 5 bolt pattern that our Commander have. So they wont work.
i see what you mean... when i did the wheel search on 5x5 they came up... and on one page they are listed as 5x5, and then when you click on them... they are 5x4.5.

but i checked their catalog and other websites, and they do make a 5x5 with those dimensions.... i guess 4wheelparts is f**ked up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
would a smaller backspace rub less inside (turning right), and rub more outside (left) ?

im assuming the larger backspacing will make it rub on all corners in all turns cause the tires are pushed out farther.

i want to get this right the first time because I read a lot of posts/ forums on how important backspacing is.... some ran 4.5 and rubbed horribly and others used a spacer with stock rims and perfectly fine. sooo confused!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you... im going to try that

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I'll make it as easy as possible for you. When you get a chance PM me what size lift you will be running and who makes it. The exact brand and size tire you are looking to run and several wheels that you like in the 5x5 bolt pattern and ill help you make the perfect choice of back spacing/offset to make your XK look the best with minimum amount of rubbing (which normally can be easily fixed with pinch weld modification).

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yeah but that doesnt show how far the new tire/wheel package will stick out compared to the oem tires and wheels. I can answer any question when it comes to that and let you know exactly how far out its going to sit.
If you want to factor in the tire size difference as well you can use the tire size calculator in our signature to help you with that.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Thank you. However I have a really good tire/wheel calculator website that throws the difference in tire size into the equation along with the difference of both wheels to tell you how far it will stick out compared to a stock Commander wheel/tire setup.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have procomp rims, I looked up the backspacing and it is 5.5. with my 285/70/17's & 4" SL Iwas told there would be no rubbing. But I did rub up front on the backside of the wheel well. Minor trimming to the fender flare and heating and reshaping the liner fixed it.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I sent you a PM and replied in your other post!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts