Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of brakes. I am heading to the dealer for warranty work on
water coming in from the passenger floor and from the left side sunroof (tube is blocked) and some lights are out on the dash... but I really need brakes too.

Do I go some where else to do it (tire/brake place) or while at the dealer? Also I know there are different brakes out there, which kind do I want? I was hoping they would just match what is on the Jeep now.

Thanks in advance,

4.7 engine
leather inside

·
Registered
37 Posts
I do my own brake work and save a crapton of money in the process as well. I don't have a preference on brands but I think I got my latest set from the local Carquest dealer. If the rotor is warped I don't mess with getting them turned, just spend the money on new rotors.

Now as far as taking it somewhere you might want to shop around on price. The dealer will use genuine Jeep parts where the indies will use non-Jeep parts that are usually of decent quality. Either place expect to pay $300+ for the work when you can do it yourself at home for less than half assuming you have the knowledge and space to work on the Heep.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Have the dealer do as little work as possible (if they are an actual jeep dealership). They will charge a disgusting amount of money. Do what you can yourself (such as the clogged drain from the sunroof), then, as far as the lights out on your dash, do a little research, check the associated fused... Easier than changing a light bulb.

As far as brake work, I would mess with them too much if your not comfortable. Take them to a small shop that you can trust, they should be able to give you a much more reasonable quote on the job...

Check this video out for your sunroof leak. Clean out the gutters...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just upgraded my pads to EBC Yellow Stuff. Work great and did the install in the garage. Takes about an hour with 13mm/14mm sockets, screw driver and a jack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts