Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. I'm looking at a 1988 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 6 cylinder. Has a 5" lift with 33's, new Holley carburetor and all electrical working. Took it for a test drive and everything seems pretty good, just a slight rattle in the engine bay which sounds like the timing belt. Its Manaual transmission (4x4). Going to have a compression check done as well. Anything else I should look for? Your help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Those are fun trucks, especially pre-lifted! I'm assuming that since there's a Holley carb, the current owner's removed the original Weber 1bbl carb and all the associated emissions controls, so it should run like a top. If its still got the original tranny, that should be the Peugeot unit which isn't known for its durability. Try the clutch and make sure its solid and not leaking fluid or the throwout bearing's not shot. If either, its a PITA to fix since the master cylinder is located inside the housing, so you have to pull the tranny to fix all of them, so it might be worth it to swap to a newer model tranny. Also check the vacuum lines to the front axle to make sure the axle locks properly when in 4x4.

Also, the 4.0 has a timing chain with plastic guides, so that's probably what's rattling and should be looked at. Also the water pump if you have to pull the chain, do them all at once and save the labor time.

Just what I've seen in the past, I'm sure there's more I've missed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts