Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll be towing a 6k lb. camper this summer w/ my Overland. I want to be able to read gauges and codes (particularly trans temp). Most of the gauges I've seen run $300 - $400, putting the cost in line with a tuner. I don't know much about tuners, but it looks like many of them will also show gauges.

I haven't really seen anyone report any tune mods that might benefit a 5.7. From what I've read the mods on a 5.7 look mostly gimmicky and don't really help over stock. I've got the tow package so I don't know if tow mod would help.

The LINQ in particular looks like it might give me what I want. I don't see many reviews on this, other than the app itself (crappy graphics, etc.). Probably not as good as stand alone gauges to use solely for gauges, but looks like it would be an easier install since with bluetooth there is no wiring to a display. Anyone have experience with LINQ or other tuners for my needs, or are gauges a better option? Whatever I go with needs to be accurate and simple to use. I don't want to have to constantly be pushing buttons on a screen when I'm hauling.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If your just looking for a cheap gauge i recommend the scan-gauge. I have one and i have it monitor my Voltage, coolant temp, transmission temp ( a Xguage option) and my MPG. But if your up for the money i believe superchips and diablosport make a dash mounted unit that will do both. tune and read parameters. I love my scanguage though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - this may be just what I'm looking for. I see on their website they don't guarantee trans temp will work. They list only two Dodge vehicles as tested for trans temp on Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep:
  1. THIS CODE HAS BEEN TESTED AND WORKED ON A 2008 DODGE RAM WITH A 5.7L ENGINE.
  2. THIS CODE HAS BEEN TESTED AND WORKED ON A 2007 5.9L CUMMINS POWERED RAM
Then they qualify it by saying: "If your vehicle is not on that list there is a possibility that the XGauge will not work with your vehicle". I feel better knowing it works on yours. Any issues with your trans temp reading?

·
Registered
862 Posts
If you have a smart phone, either Android or iPhone, get the app "Torque" (about $10) and a Bluetooth OBD II diagnostics plug reader. You plug in the BT reader, Torque connects with it, then you set up whatever you want to monitor with on-screen "analog" gauges. It will monitor a LOT of stuff, as well as read error codes, reset the MIL light, etc. etc.

I've seen Bluetooth plug as cheap as $20 on eBay.

Here's one on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230823483981?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you kidding??? Thanks Adondo!! I had no idea this was available. Under $20 and no wiring. Now I can shovel the savings into the gas tank. You just made my day :beerchug:

·
Registered
210 Posts
I vote bluetooth thats pretty cool. You could get a dash mount and a car charger you will be all set. As for the trans temp, it does work i can take a photo if it helps. I used the ram 5.7 code seeing as both ram and us have the 545rfe i figured why not, and it worked. Bluetooth is pretty damn cool though.

Edit:: You have a trailer break controller too right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have the adapter Monday. Torque looks like a fantastic app. Fallback option is the Scan Gauge II. Scan Gauge looks like some of the trip info is pretty cool - it will calculate fuel costs in advance (but on second thought that's probably something I'd rather know after the trip to avoid spoiling my time with a fowl mood :shock:).

Yeah, got a brake controller and WDH. The 29' camper's really a monster for a 16' Jeep. Haven't had it on expressways yet, but it tracked decent on highways up to 60 mph. Plenty of power, but the short wheelbase is kind of iffy.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yea the wheelbase is the only real downfall. Power is not a issue, neither is weight at a hefty 5200# for the 4x4.... the only thing i would change about the scanguage is the way it calculates MPG i believe it reads the input pulse for an injector.. The problem is when MDS kicks in, that injector is one of the ones that stays on and doubles its fuel output to acomidate the 4 cyl mode. Hence when MDS kicks on, the mpg drops from 15 to 9 ... :lookaround:

·
Registered
862 Posts
...it will calculate fuel costs in advance (but on second thought that's probably something I'd rather know after the trip to avoid spoiling my time with a fowl mood :shock:).
That's one reason I love card lock fueling. (Pacific Pride for me)
A) In Oregon, no waiting for the "fuel jockey" fill your tank.
B) No waiting TWICE (Prepay stations) for someone to buy beer, Twinkies and pick lotto numbers.
C) You don't even see the price while fueling; you just drop to your knees and become a quivering blob of blubbering jelly after you get back home and open the bill. :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anybody know if the Scangauge II will read the trans temp on a 2010 Commander Hemi. I want to be able to monitor the trans temp on it while towing. I havnt been able to find out for sure. I know that Superchips said that they cannot get the trans temp on the flashpaq. I'm trying to get it without installing a gauge and sending unit.

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts