Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will 245/75/17 duratracs fit on my commander with no lift? I need to know before I make a mistake. I have the tires and will be installing them tomorrow. Any advice.

06cmdr.jpg
gdyrdura16.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
eh, just buy a lift... the whole lift is cheaper than 1 tire!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Some 245/75R17's will fit without a lift. For example the BFGoodrich All Terrains. Other's wont fit because they wont clear the ball joint bolt. Then if you try to add spacers to clear the ball joint bolt you will have crazy rubbing issues when you turn the steering wheel. So basically it's hit or miss. Let us know how everything turns out. Worse case senerio you spend $150 and buy a 2 inch spacer lift.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the same tires and a 2in lift and they rub in the back when turning. Just lift it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I just bolted up a set of 245/75/17 Duratracs on Tuesday. My XK is lifted 2 inches. No rubbing. These puppies are much nosier than my summer rollers (Silent Armors)... I do not see how to get around lifting if you run a tire this tall. Even lifted, your alignment can affect rubbing issues. I bet that is why some lifted XK's rub and some do not.

Beside the hum, you will love the tires. They look every bit as nasty as they are. I figure I am good for the 10 feet (or more) of snow we get on average over a normal winter here in upstate NY...

Chuck

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have the same tires and a 2in lift and they rub in the back when turning. Just lift it.
I just noticed you are running AEV's with a special offset. That is probably why you are rubbing. No issues with these on my OEM take-off wheels.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I just noticed you are running AEV's with a special offset. That is probably why you are rubbing. No issues with these on my OEM take-off wheels.
The AEV wheels are made specifically for the commander. That tire and wheel package only sits out 0.7 inches further then the stock setup. It doesnt get any better then that. Thats half the distance of guys running wheel spacers.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The AEV wheels are made specifically for the commander. That tire and wheel package only sits out 0.7 inches further then the stock setup. It doesnt get any better then that. Thats half the distance of guys running wheel spacers.
Do you have the specs on those wheels( AEV )off the top of your head?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
AEV Pintler wheels
17x8.5
5 on 5 bolt pattern
+25mm off set
approx. 5.7 inches of back spacing

·
Registered
542 Posts
AEV Pintler wheels
17x8.5
5 on 5 bolt pattern
+25mm off set
approx. 5.7 inches of back spacing
Thanks, I'll pm you soon with a couple of wheel questions since you seem to know what you are talking about. :)

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Sounds good!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just bolted up a set of 245/75/17 Duratracs on Tuesday. My XK is lifted 2 inches. No rubbing. These puppies are much nosier than my summer rollers (Silent Armors)... I do not see how to get around lifting if you run a tire this tall. Even lifted, your alignment can affect rubbing issues. I bet that is why some lifted XK's rub and some do not.

Beside the hum, you will love the tires. They look every bit as nasty as they are. I figure I am good for the 10 feet (or more) of snow we get on average over a normal winter here in upstate NY...

Chuck
I'm in the process of looking for replacements for my stock tires. I do have a 2" lift. I will look closer at the Duratracs now because of your comments about the noise they produce. I love the hum, and would rather listen to that than the radio driving down the road.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The duratracs grip really well as far as I can tell. If you watch the videos on the Photobucket page from my hidden falls trip the Two door wrangler has them on it and does well.
http://s1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc495/superacerc/Hidden%20Falls%20Off%20Road%20Adventure%20Park%20Nov%202010/?action=view&current=MVI_2266.mp4

http://s1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc495/superacerc/Hidden Falls Off Road Adventure Park Nov 2010/?action=view&current=MVI_2265.mp4

He blew one from a rock pinching the sidewall and putting a hole in it. Don't believe the sidewalls are as tough as the MTR w/Kevlars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts