Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 commander /w nav & rear DVD .
I bypassed factory amp behind rear kick panel with metra harness keeping factory door/dash speakers. Installed a aftermarket h/u due to infamous factory h/u screen failure.
My question is with the amp bypass harness connecting to factory harness behind h/u then splicing into the aftermarket h/u plug I come to the issue of how to wire all 6 speakers into my h/u as it only has wired for x4 speakers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you've got it working properly with the front 4 speakers, I'd call it good. When are there musicians playing behind you, right?

Beware your dash tweeters don't have any crossover protection right now, they're getting full range and the bass will probably kill them shortly. An inline capacitor would be sufficient.

There are some technical issues ahead of you if you want to proceed into the rear. The factory speakers are special. They are low impedance (2 ohm) to get the most power out of the factory amp. Unfortunately your new head unit is probably barely happy with the 2 ohms/channel it's now getting. If you parallel in the rear door speakers to the front door speakers it's a good guess your hu isn't going to be happy with a 1 ohm load.

If you're really committed to getting rear sound here's what I would recommend. Buy a quality Component Set (separate tweeter and woofer) that comes with a passive crossover. Find something that's reasonably low impedance like 3-4 ohm.

Thinking about one Side of the vehicle now... Put the tweeter in the dash. Put the woofer in the front door (you'll need 6x9 ---> 6.5" or whatever size adapter plates). Wire the hu Front channel to the crossover which then feeds the component set. Wire the hu Rear to the Rear Door Speakers. Use the hu Fader control to push most of the power to the Front speakers. You can do this for $150 or less using good components.

Beware your dash tweeters don't have any crossover protection right now, they're getting full range and the bass will probably kill them shortly. An inline capacitor would be sufficient.
Something in the 75uF - 100uF range should be alright. You need one for each tweeter and it goes inline on the positive wire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, right now I have the 4 door speakers hooked up to the h/u, not the dash ones I was wondering how to integrate the dash ones . But regardless, with the info you supplied you have answered my woes to the issue. So thank you ! Will be making a visit to crutchfield.com for some 6x9s and tweeters in the very near future when I have xtra fundz 🤣

·
Registered
7 Posts
The dash ones are the 4 grey wires in the next connector on the amp. I just wired my dash with my front doors. The grey with dark green n light green are right dash n grey n yellow n orange are left dash. There is a pic on this site somewhere. Thats how I figured mine out. Tho the dash speakers cant take the bass the doors can fyi. You would have to install a 2 way cross over if u wanna crank the bass.

Screenshot_20210402-194848.png

·
Administrator
2006 Limited 5.7 HEMI Quadra-Drive II
15,817 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts