Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here's my problem! I'm getting a body lift on my command it's 3" in front and 2.5" in the rear to level it out. My problem is I want the biggest tires I can get without any issue..but I want to keep my stock rims! Can anyone tell the tires sizes I can go with.. soI've found someone selling a set of 5 295/70/17 nitto terra grapplers for 400 with 70% tread left will these fit or no? If not what size should I get? I'm suppose to meet him in 2 days to buy so please let me know asap!

·
Registered
21 Posts
With what I've read, mostly on this forum, I don't see how a 295 could possibly fit, even with wheel spacers. I'm not so sure about a 295 even being able to mount on a stock 7.5" rim.

This thread will give you size parameters to use as a guideline ... http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8393

Right now I'm having an OME HD installed with new UCA's and 255/75/17 8 inch rims with a 35 offset. If I've done my figgerin right it will fit with no problems.

This site can help also ... http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp?item=Wheel-Tire size comparer&sw1=245&ar1=65&bd1=17&rw1=7.5&et1=44&sw2=255&ar2=75&bd2=17&rw2=8.0&et2=35&text1=&text2=

·
Registered
213 Posts
There is a specific formula about what width tire can be safely mounted on a rim of a specific width. If the tire is too wide the surface of the tire will bow outward and wear in the center as well as create handling problems. Also the amount of tread on the ground will actually be less than if you had a narrower width tire so traction will be lost. I'm sure you can find this formula by googling it. I would not think you should run anything wider than a 265 with stock rims but that may be outside the recommended size for the stock rims. The stock rims are 7.5 inches wide.

·
Registered
139 Posts
A body lift? Hope you didn't pay too much for that...

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Good luck getting any decent answers, This site makes me want to sell my Commander. God forbid you don't want to waste 4 hours searching for something simple without being ridiculed on this prehistoric site.

·
Registered
139 Posts
175.00 for a 3 inch body lift seems like a good deal to me.
Im saying I hope it's a strut spacer or clevis lift, because the XK is a unibody: be kinda hard to body lift.

295 will not fit as far as I know. Most have 265/70/17s. There's was a dude with 285/70/17, but he had max lift and 2" wheel spacers

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Im saying I hope it's a strut spacer or clevis lift, because the XK is a unibody: be kinda hard to body lift.

295 will not fit as far as I know. Most have 265/70/17s. There's was a dude with 285/70/17, but he had max lift and 2" wheel spacers

Can you do 265/70/17 stock? Just curious :alf:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Can you do 265/70/17 stock? Just curious :alf:
I think the general consensus is that it depends on the tires. The big ticket item here would be the upper A-Arm mount bolt encroaching on the tire. O.D.-wise, I ran 245/75/17 stock which is the same height as a 265/70/17 and had next to no rubbing, even on mild wheeling. Most people with a 265/70R17 are running spacers or are not on stock wheels.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I bought a rough country 2 inch kit and the instructions say it was designed for a 265/70r17 tire with stock wheels. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here's a photo of no lift with 265/70/17s. I was also running 1.5" wheel spacers, spacers are an absolute must for this size on stock wheels.

I wouldn't recommend this set up, I ran it like this for a winter, anything over 75% of a full steering wheel rotation caused rub on flat ground. It was a bitch to drive but looked fun.

Just for reference, here's what it looked like following the Rough Country spacer lift, new Bilstein struts up front and Monroe LLs out back.

·
Registered
139 Posts

Can you do 265/70/17 stock? Just curious
What he said. 265/70/17 would need spacers or offset rims to clear the bolt from the UCA. And with out a lift, you def have rub. I have 255/75/17 with 1.25" spacers, plenty of room, but had minor rub when turning until I did the pinch weld mod

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here's a couple of people who have put bigger tires that fit stock.
If you can't read it let me know ??

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
275/65/18 rough country lift. Fit with no problems. No rubbing. 1.25 spacers.

·
Administrator
6,211 Posts
My rims are not stock obviously - but they are still 17 inch rims.

I am running P265/70R17's BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain TA's with a 2 inch rough country lift kit and for the moment, a stock suspension and I have no issues with tire clearance, but, there is not much room to spare.

The way I am set up right now, I couldn't go much bigger on tire size without having clearance issues.

I am having Blistein shocks and struts installed in 10 days.

Looking forward to seeing how the ride improves.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey I've seen a few of you are running the RC 2" lift with the Blistens 5100 struts and Monroe LL shocks.

I have the 2" lift also and looking to upgrade stock suspension. Do these add any more lift? any install tips, aren't the blistens adjustable?

running 255/70 R17 Mastercraft Courser AXTs and I rub on the inner frame at 95% turn and not at the pinch weld point. no spacers

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey I've seen a few of you are running the RC 2" lift with the Blistens 5100 struts and Monroe LL shocks.

I have the 2" lift also and looking to upgrade stock suspension. Do these add any more lift? any install tips, aren't the blistens adjustable?

running 255/70 R17 Mastercraft Courser AXTs and I rub on the inner frame at 95% turn and not at the pinch weld point. no spacers
Bilstien 5100's are adjustable from 3/4" to 2", and the MLL are supposed to add 1/2"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts