Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Just joined the forums today as I am starting to really get going on a Commander purchase. I just graduated from college and started a job, so I am rewarding myself. I have been driving a '96 Grand Cherokee Laredo (4.0 Litre - Straight 6) since high school and have been used to it's driveabliity, gas consumption and general feel. My thoughts on the commander are either the 3.7 or 4.7 (I live in Atlanta and will not be doing any trail driving or anything like that). I drove an 07' 3.7L last night and it felt very similar to my Grand Cherokee. I wanted to get some input on what I should go for in the engine as far as keeping things about equal, if not better, from what I have right now and also, if there are big changes in the engine from when the Commander was released. I am not worried about cosmetics because I will buy aftermarket chrome if need be :) Sorry for such a long first post, but I'll go ahead and say thanks for a response and also thanks for the great information all over these boards.

Tyler

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Obviously, with the bigger engines, the more power you get. Other than that the only difference is price. Gas mileage seems to be about the same with all 3 engines. The 3.7 may be a tad better on the highway but not enough to worry about. At least that's how I view all of the input I've read. You can help your mileage by going 2wd. Personally, I'd think the 3.7 would be underpowered in a 6700 lb. vehicle. I'm happy with the 4.7 myself, and am sure I'd be even happier with the 5.7.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I like mine, with the big V-8, but I haven't driven the others so I can't really advise you. Atlanta traffic will = awful gas mileage, but I'm sure you already know that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sadly, I do know that about Atlanta traffic, but will be living downtown come January. As long as I can improve on my Grand Cherokee gas mileage, I am fine with that. 3.7 seems okay, but 4.7 won't get out of my head! I am looking at Commander's and Altima' (Yes, I know - one end of the spectrum compared to the other :) )

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
herrijt said:
I get around 17-18 in the city and around 20 on the highway..
That is what you get with the Commander. If gas prices bother you, don't get the Commander. If you want to feel like a man, get a Commander. :D I love mine and the only thing I regret is not getting the 5.7.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think gas prices bother everyone :) but if I am not losing anything mileage wise, I think I'll be in a Commander!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
herrijt said:
I get around 17-18 in the city and around 20 on the highway..

If you don't want it to be worse, get the Altima, or V6 2WD. I get 12.5 - 13 in town, and 16 on the highway. (4.7 4X4) I can eek it up to 18 on the Highway if I want to drive 60mph, but I can't do that.

Someone else with the 3.7 will need to chime in with it's mileage, but on average it won't be more than 1-2 mpg better, if that. Some will get great mileage, some will get worse. You need to know the real average, not good guys mileage that you'll probably never see.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good point. I will def. not be getting a 4x4 so if any 3.7 people can help, I am all ears - and thanks for all the advice so far. Much better than some Jeep salesman who wants commission...

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the 4.7 but it is a 2wd and I get average 15.6 in city and I have gotten over 20on the highway but generally average within that 19.5 area on the highway. I think the 4.7 is a good size engine and pulls the commander around well. My thought is the small amount of dif. in mpg for the extra horsepower when you need it makes the 4.7 worth it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've got a 3.7 4x2 and find that it has adequate of power. It's a big truck so you have to drive it as such. That said, I would probably get the 4.7 if I was doing it again. There doesn't seem to be a great difference in the fuel economy.

My advice is to set the 4.7 4x2 as the goal, but if there's a 3.7 4x2 available that has more appealing features, colors, or price - consider it.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
The Commander weighs alot more, get at least the 4.7 if your going two wheel drive or four wheel and no real plans to go four wheeling.

·
Registered
512 Posts
We had a 3.7 Liberty and loved it, but needed something bigger.Our dealer had an '07 Commander Sport with the 3.7. Its a good engine, but if I had to do it again it would be the 4.7. The engine has a very good track record but the Commander is fairly heavy. we love our Commander, but the engine was a better fit in the Liberty 18mpg around town and 23 on the hwy. We are still in the break in period with the Commander but so far 14 around town. Havent taken any trips yet, but I hope we can get it up to 20 hwy.Keep us posted! -43:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think i'll keep my options open, but lean more towards the 4.7, seems those with it are happy and those with 3.7 would go up a notch...my research continues :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
we have a 2006 with the 3.7 and 4x4 that we bought new last year. we now have over 20,000 miles and not a single problem. i drive it very conservatively and get 15.5 to 16 in town and 21.5-22 on the highway at about 65-70. powerwise i feel it is adequate for everyday driving. my son races go karts and i pull a 3500lb trailer so at times i wish i went with the 4.7 but thats the only time. i don't have the tow package so i haven't towed with it but having a '96 truck with 144,000 on it i sometimes wish i could have. last month i bought an'07 ram 1500 4x4 QC with the 4.7 so i have some experience with it. on paper the 4.7 isn't much more powerful than the 3.7. i have towed with the 4.7 in my truck with no problems at all. i have 1400 miles on it and get 14.0 in town (again very conservatively) and haven't had it on the highway yet.
if i were to buy another commander i would go with the 4.7 but i have no complaints with the 3.7. i would try to get the 4x4 as you never know where the road might take you. resale value will be much better also and should overide any mpg loss you might see.
in summary, i don't think you'd go wrong either way but if it were me i'd go with the 4.7 4x4.
congrats on the degree.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I have the 3.7 4x4 and I am getting 15.3 MPG and I drive about 80 MPH constantly on the highway. The power is okay but I find myself wanting just a little more. Had a 4.7 been available and in my price range I would have got that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts