Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying new tires but I'm unsure what to buy. I wnat to get the Nitto Terra Grapplers but all the reviews I have read are giving mixed fellings on the tread life, some sat that they are shot after 20K and others say that they will last for 50K+... I want a tire that will be good off raod and fairly quiet on road since this is the family daily driver. Please help.... I have found the Nitto tires at Summit for $130. Any suggestions to a comparable tire to the Terra Grapplers around the same price? :icon_confused:

·
Registered
97 Posts
For what it's worth I've had nothing but good experiences with them...if you rotate them at the correct interval, and your not doing massive 4wd burnouts, then I think you will be perfectly happy with them. I have only run them on 91 cherokee so nothing as heavy as the commander but I know a bunch of people that run them on their 1500 pickups and have had 0 problems with long tire life and quiet road manners.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Most of the negative reviews I have seen on this tire have come from HD truck owners that aren't running a size that is approved for their wheels. They seem to like to cram a wide tire on a narrow wheel and then wonder why they don't last... :rofl: I have had nothing but an awesome experience with this tire and this brand. I have Mud grapplers on my truck and Terra Grapplers on my wife's truck. I highly recommend them and I would be happy to help you with a set if you are interested. I promise you, you will get the best price if you make your purchase through Discount Tire and if you ever have an issue we will be here to help you.

The offer is always here. :woot:

-Travis

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have to say the nittos are great...my buddy had them on his F350 and what he puts his truck through you couldnt even start to try with an XK and they held up, he decided to save up and buy another set. Personally I am loving my Silent Armors from Goodyear. But if I had the deal and the little extra cash Id go with Nitto.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
X2 on the Silent Armors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have always been a big fan of BFG. love their KM2's on my cherokee went with the AT on the commander just because it see more on road then off, it's my daily driver. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a bug planted in my ear about some retreads....I looked into them and decided to give them a shot. The tread pattern is the same as the BFG AT tire and half the price. I got 4 255/75/17 shipped for $500. Should have them this week. I had to look into the warranty before I made the decision and since they had a 2yr/24k warranty I figured that they were worth a shot.

·
Registered
83 Posts
where did you get them from?

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Treadwright.com if your asking hemicommander

·
Registered
83 Posts
Cheers I will have a look

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm not a big fan of Nitto's. They seem very high priced. I just purchased TOYO Open Country At's and could not be happier. There very quite on the road, just a touch louder than stock. Ride better, of course my were completely baled. After I got them, I went to the end of my street. Theres a sub with all the roads pored, but no housed. I would say a good 10 inches of snow. Tore through it like butter, stopped acouple of times, and they didnt even slip when I moved again. They look really good to, the shoulder on them is perfect. Discount had them for $ 663 and then a $ 50 mail in reabate.

Check out my thread I started.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11775

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Been driving on the retreads for a week or two now and so far so good. I only have some minor rubbing with the factory wheels. I will post some pictures of them soon.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I was also running the Nitto 265/70/17s and got about 29,000 miles out of them before one shop told me I needed new tires, Firestone while I was in for an allignment. When I took it in to the shop where I bought them, they told me I easily had another 7,000 - 10,000 miles left and that they were wearing as should be expected. I trust them so I took their word over Firestone. Since then however, I stumbled across a great deal on BFG MT KMs and are now running those for about 1,500 miles. Ride noise and quality of the Nitto's was quiet and good, and when they were new, offroad traction was great - compared to stock fortera's as my only previous point of reference. If you decide to go with the Nitto's and go with the P265/70/17 let me know, I've got the spare that never hit the road that I can make you a killer deal on :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
I loved the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmors and never had a problem with Fortera SilentArmors. Like the tread pattern on the Wranglers a lot more. They are For Sale now if anybody is still looking for great low price on tires. Just replaced them with MTR w/ Kevlar and they are only months old.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts