Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I are expecting child #2 here shortly, and now she wants to trade in the Commander and get a ...the Honda Odyssey.

Her reasoning is that it would be a real hassle for people getting into the third row seating with 2 carseats in the middle row. Are there any tricks to the trade, does the middle seat comeout, or any info that I can sell to her that would help her change her mind?

:boohoo:

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Remind her that the kids are not always young and the Commadner is a long term investment. Also consider the economy and effects of trading a low demande vehicle in the current climate.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Tell her that dealing with the hassle is worth it considering the bath you would take on trading it in. Make an appeal to her economic side...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I feel for you. I came from an 03 Town and Country before my Commander. The van drove great and had a lot of great options, but I counted the days until I could get the Commander. I had an 01 GC before the van. I cannot imagine going from a Commander to a van.

I also have two kids. I argued that we needed 4X4 to be safe. I live in Indiana and I had the van stuck more than a few times on our roads. I would also explain that you won't gain any seating. It is difficult for someone to get into our backseats, but in the last 18 month my rear seats have been used three times. I don't know how many times you haul extra passengers. The economic argument is good too. Stand your ground. When you get worn down, just picture your friends making fun of you. "Hey soccerdad, are your driving?"

·
Registered
205 Posts
Heck, get a new wife, LOL. My wife wanted to get the Commander because she's worried that if we have twins in addition to our current 2 yr old, she wanted to have enough room. We traded up from her JK Renegade, it's suited us well. No way I'd go to a minivan, trading in a Commander now that was purchased new is economic suicide. Driving a minivan would make you want real suicide. JMHO

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I think the economics alone would kill the idea.
Frankly, with the trade beating you would take you'd probably be better off adding a vehicle, rather than trading.
And as rockymountain said, even with front drive those things get stuck pretty easy.
I live next door in Desplaines so you and I experience the same weather.
Do you really find yourself hauling other adults?
If so, I don't think they'll want to join you again once they've experienced the third row.
Best of luck on this one, but sadly the emotional mind(FEMALE) rarely can see the black and white logic(MALE)
And please ladies, that is not a knock on you. Men and Women rarely see things of this nature from the same angle.

Good luck on this one, Stretch, but I think your odds of success are currently the same as the Cubby's,
....Rob

·
Registered
452 Posts
I totally agree with almost everyone here. This is NOT the time to consider going 'upside down' on your vehicle. If she wants the minivan, let her have it...but don't bother considering 'trade-in'. You're just ready to be laughed at. Anything considered to roll to a dealership and be a 'trade-in', ...you'll lose every time. The demand for even a used SUV is not really out there these days, so you'll get jipped. Keep your guard up, and factor in the reliability you'll need to drive around in the windy city. I haven't exactly driven around there, but have had friends from there complain bout driving in the winter. That's prob why I live down south...way south :). I'm happy w/ my RWD XK...well, it's the 'WIFEY'S' ride, but it's under my name...heh.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Not to be a downer, but if the commander is your primary transportation and you would be hauling your children and other people, she's right. A minivan is much better suited. I like the Jeep, I do, but man, Minivans are practical. The commander isn't really children friendly. Lack of rear seat legroom, minimal entry space on the 2nd row floor, and high entry height don't mix well with children, or adults needing to ride back there.

Also, you can lord having to give up your Jeep over her for quite some time.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Not to be a downer, but if the commander is your primary transportation and you would be hauling your children and other people, she's right. A minivan is much better suited. I like the Jeep, I do, but man, Minivans are practical. The commander isn't really children friendly. Lack of rear seat legroom, minimal entry space on the 2nd row floor, and high entry height don't mix well with children, or adults needing to ride back there.

Also, you can lord having to give up your Jeep over her for quite some time.
I am a Mr. Mom and I haul around my 4 kids with my CJ just fine. I had a mini van before and there is not that much difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Hey soccerdad, are your driving?"

Soccerdad...oh boy. All my friends are already making fun of me that is why I am trying to save myself. In the end I know she will win...I am just trying to prolong the effort. I was hoping there was a way to take out the middle seat in the middle row to create an aisle, since that is what you do in the Odyessey.

We tend to go out with friends quite a bit, and since we have the young one we always drive so that we are not switching out the car seat.

·
Registered
512 Posts
As my wife just said, as I told her of your dilemma..and I quote " A Honda Odyssey over a Commander? EWWW!"... hope this helps-43:icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
243 Posts
I told my sweetie if the Commander goes this is what we should replace it with for a family vechile............we still have the commander.

No kids yet though!!!!!!

Good Luck

Attachments

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
holy cow i feel for you. i agree with everyone else, the economy right now is just crap. show her the thread on the commanders trade in value and maybe that would help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i agree somewhat w/ ur wife the commander is tight fit and a hassle....im 5'5 and know its super unconftable as a driver & passneger..backs seat ,,,3rd seat. having said that even if you dident have kids....the back of the xk is a tight fit...but i think it would be better if you guys went ahead and purchased a 4cyl honda or toyota.
and also keep the jeep.......honestly? how many ppl do you think will go in ur 3rd seats of ur commander in one year? she said it will be a real hassle for people getting in the 3rd seat? who are these ppl??

those ppl are going to realize even before they think about getting in the jeep that the back seat is reserved the new born and the other kid.....so they should know that there going to open up a can of worms by decided to go w/ you guys.......its tuff luck for them...they will have to take there own car or go with someone else...

you want to be the typical dad and have ur kids telling you.....15 years later.....

"hey dad remember when you had that jeep commander.....( and there friends are going to say) woow cool why did you sell it...you shouldent of sell it"
and then you say "yea we needed more room...with ur new sibling on the way...."

i hear that all the time with ppl and nice classic cars....
so i leave you with......if your going to get anonther car/suv dont get a van .at least get an Suv...like a tahoe...

·
Registered
283 Posts
2nd kid was on the way and I had to make a decision - was it time to get an Odyssey? Then I found the XK and never looked back. How old is the first kid? I put the 5-yr old in his car seat in the back row if I want to haul adults. Infant seat in the center of 2nd row and 2 more adults can come along.Not super comfy but it works.

Wife wasn't so sure at first, now would never give it up for a mini-van.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I traded in an Odyssey for the Commander. My kids are 11, 10 and 7. We still use a car seat for the 7 year old. Access to the third row is simple, we leave one rear seat down and the 10 year old enters from the rear. He is happy as a clam back there. Just gotta remember to let him out, Ha!

The Odyssey is a better family shuttle, better gas mileage, and holds it resale value. But it is a passionless eunuch. The Commander is much more fun and I've never regretted the trade.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys you really have it wrong The Odyssey is awesome! It drives great and looks really sweet and it has lots of cup holders.............Ok I am lying, I was trying to convince myself that it is cool.

The current kid is 16 months...so she is not climbing anywhere yet. The resale value on the Commander does not seem to be too bad as they are offering 16k(trade in value)...I have the first run of the 2006 basic model with about 35k on it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts