Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I live in NC and I'm going to DC for my first road trip in my XK, this past suday I drove on the interstate and pushed the XK to 100 mph, she got up there but it felt like she couldnt breath, and she was working to hard, HOW DO I PULL OUT THE SNORKEL, Ive already searched but the HOW TO didnt have any pics, please help XK family:bowdown:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Its pretty simple, first open your hood and you will see like 4 plastic retainers that you have to pull out. they will be black plastic plug looking things with a notch on the sides where you can slip a flat tip screw driver into and pry upwards. Once they are up you should be able to pull the retainer out. Do this to all the retainers holding the grill in place.

Once removed you should be able to pull your grill out. The snorkle is located next to the right headlight and slides in at a 45 downward angle so you should be able to remove it from there. Once done replace the grill and reinsert the retainers and push the pins back down and store snorkle. :)

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Der....forgive me for my stupidity...buts whats a snorkle? What do you gain by removing it....and will it damage anything by removing it?

I've not seen it when I removed my grille recently!!!:icon_confused:

·
Super Moderator
14,935 Posts
Der....forgive me for my stupidity...buts whats a snorkle? What do you gain by removing it....and will it damage anything by removing it?

I've not seen it when I removed my grille recently!!!:icon_confused:
The snorkle is the air intake--where the air enters to go to the air filter.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Unfortunately my tires are rated for 99 mph, so never again will I be able to enjoy 104.5 without going airborne (no JATO needed!)

·
2,248 Posts
Here is a better snorkle: The K&N or any Cold Air Intake improves the air path to the intake. I think what this thread is about is removing the silencer from the factory snorkle. The silencer smooths out and maybe slows down the air noise going thru the plastic housing to the intake. Any bend or restriction limits the amount and velocity of the air flow. Baffles or sharp corners tend to limit air flow.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
The snorkle is the air intake--where the air enters to go to the air filter.
Thats not a snorkle...thats just a small stubby pipe!!

Snorkle's are them big black pipes that exit the side of the fender, up the A Pillar and make your car look like a submarine!!! :)

So what eveyone is talking about here is a small plastic pipe and not really a snorkle!!! :stickpoke:

·
Super Moderator
14,935 Posts
Thats not a snorkle...thats just a small stubby pipe!!

Snorkle's are them big black pipes that exit the side of the fender, up the A Pillar and make your car look like a submarine!!! :)

So what eveyone is talking about here is a small plastic pipe and not really a snorkle!!! :stickpoke:
It is called the snorkle.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Nah....cant accept that....I'm sure it's described in the dealer's parts database as a "short stubby pipe"

Only joking :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts