Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to lift kits and offroad tires. My commander is a 2007 sport with the 4.7 V8. I was looking at the Rocky Road 2.25" lift kit and 245/75/17 BFG All Terrain tires as a possiable set up. Does anyone have this same set up if so i'd like to hear.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
2007 Commander 4.7LV8 stock wheels and tires

·
Registered
696 Posts
I would go with a bigger tire. I think my 265/70 are too wide but I would go with 255/75 like a lot of people have.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I'm running 245/75/17s. Still had to do the pinch weld mod to stop rubbing. They're a good size... I could cram a bigger set in there but I like some clearance for flexing off-road.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Same kit except with 265/70's stuffed under it. It rubs a little on the front while turning and flexing, but it's livable. It's unstoppable with those things on though. :)

·
Registered
2006 Jeep Commander 4.7 V8 Quadra-Trac II
95 Posts
this is with 245/75/17 duratracs and they rub in the front at almost full lock , I will probably try spacers in the future .

·
Registered
862 Posts
Spacers will probably work great. My Ultrasport wheels are set out quite a ways, the tires are right at the fender edges. I gained 4" of track width in fact. Stock wheels/tires are almost 2'' inboard. My 255/70's never touched while on the Ultrasport wheels.

My Toyo tires rub from the large diameter as they're 32" tall, but they only rub in a turn while off-roading, they don't rub while straight on. I think they touch the front fender plastic when it happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I'm getting the feeling that 255/70's on stock wheels are going to rub a little bit while off road deppending on the brand. But will be able to take corners and handle just fine on the street where I'll be doing the bulk of my driving to and from school.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
I have 255/70 Destination A/Ts and they don't rub.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I don't think your 255/70's will rub.

Here's a breakdown of those numbers.

The first number is the width in mm. 255mm is about 10 inches. The second is the percentage of ''rubber wrap'' if you want to call it that. So... 70% of that 255mm is about 7 inches. So... double that and add your wheel size. The 7" of rubber width, and of course, you have a top and bottom of the tire/wheel assembly, so 7+7=14 inches plus your 17 inch rim, and that comes out to 31"

The last part, the R17 just means R for radial and 17 is for the wheel size in inches.

The stock tires are 245/65R17, so 9.6" x .65 (65%) = 6.24 x 2 = 12.48. So, about 12.5" + your 17" wheel = a 29.5" tall tire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I put the rocky road lift on my wife's commander and we love the way it looks. My only complaint is the shocks that came with it. They make the ride in the back so ruff if you don't have some weight in the back. Does any one know where I can get some replacements that will give a little softer ride?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I put the rocky road lift on my wife's commander and we love the way it looks. My only complaint is the shocks that came with it. They make the ride in the back so ruff if you don't have some weight in the back. Does any one know where I can get some replacements that will give a little softer ride?
Love my Bilstein 5150s. Great ride quality, and great offroad as well. I would certainly recomend them

·
Premium Member
12,558 Posts
I have the Rocky Road lift and it has served me well for 5 years now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 2" Old Emu HD lift with 245/75/17 Silentarmor, no spacers and stock pinch and fender plastic, no rubbing at all...

Comfort OK. Tire noise minimal. Does it like mud ? Not all that much... Good in snow ? I'm yet to see but I sure will... Only real complain, increased fuel consumption but that was to be expected - It's just that I didn't factor it...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey holaday07 4.7 I called a 4wheel parts store to look into those 5150s and the guy acted as those they wounldnt give me a better ride and that he wasn't sure if they made them for my commander. So where did u get your shocks? Are there any good shocks out there for a 2.25" lift that are cheaper than the 5150s bc I'm on a budget bc of new baby

·
Premium Member
12,558 Posts
Im new to the forum and looking for a lift kit Rocky Road or Rough country? It rides smooth now how much wil the smoothness be affected?
The lift itself does not change the smoothness of the ride. All you are doing is lifting the body a few inches.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I want stock height, but I also want a lift, a couple inches is all, maybe some bigger gripper rubber too. ... Has anyone experimented with air ride and off roading? Capable? Disastrous? Cutting edge? Dumb as mud?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.