Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a 2007 Commander Limited this week. I want to upgrade the tires and wheels from the factory size. I really like the Terra Grapplers, just not sure what size to go with? I am not doing any off roading, just for appearance. I do not want to lift the truck either. I just want a bigger more aggresive look then the factory wheels and tires without messing anything up. Thanks!!!!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
If you are not going to lift the tire or go with spacers you should keep the factory size and just look for an aggressive looking tire to switch to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help, but that size looks so small on the truck. I know a AT tire would look better but I feel that the stock size looks so small for the truck. Any other suggestions? Maybe going to a 18' and just a little bit bigger size?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
You can run 245/75/R17s BFGs on stock and have a slight rubbing issue when turning, I recommend looking for a 245/70 tire if you wanna keep stock height and fill out the wheel wells more, just be aware you may need spacers or wheels that gives you an additional 1-1.5 inches more backspacing.

·
Registered
392 Posts
If you just want to put a larger tire on there you can run a 255/65R17 pretty easily. The Hankook RF10 is a lot like the Terra Grappler and is available in that size.

If you are wanting to upgrade your wheels and tires. Take a look at what we offer. enter your year, make, and model here to browse what we have available. Discount Tire Direct Please let us know if you have any questions.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If you just want to put a larger tire on there you can run a 255/65R17 pretty easily. The Hankook RF10 is a lot like the Terra Grappler and is available in that size.

If you are wanting to upgrade your wheels and tires. Take a look at what we offer. enter your year, make, and model here to browse what we have available. Discount Tire Direct Please let us know if you have any questions.
I just did a search on the Hankook RF10 tires and they look practically identical to my Bridgestone Dueler REVO's. How do they handle in the snow/ice? Also are they any good off road?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I just did a search on the Hankook RF10 tires and they look practically identical to my Bridgestone Dueler REVO's. How do they handle in the snow/ice? Also are they any good off road?
These tires are gaining popularity very quickly. They are a fairly new design so you won't find a ton of reviews just yet but in looking at the tread design, the heavy siping should do very well in packed snow and ice. Here is a link for reviews and price. Click on "View product details" for more specific features and benefits.

Hankook RF10 ATM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are a few options that I had. Would any of these sizes work? 265/70/17, 265/70/18, and 255/70/18

·
Registered
392 Posts
Here is a Tire size calculator to show you the difference in size. If you are not changing the suspension of the jeep you will not want to go more than 1" in diameter taller. Also keep in mind that there are limits to how wide of a tire you can safely put on a particular width wheel. Check with tire manufacturer's web sites for with recommended rim widths.

In looking at what’s available, Here's what I would do. If you are planning on sticking with the stock wheels, go with a 255/65R17. Anything taller than that, you will probably rub, You could go with a wider 275/60R17 but there aren't many aggressive tires in that size.

If you decide to go with an 18" you may be able to get away with a 265/60R18 but it would be tight. Depending on the tire you choose and your wheel width and offset you might get some rubbing at full turn.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Here are a few options that I had. Would any of these sizes work? 265/70/17, 265/70/18, and 255/70/18

A 265/70R18 is equivalent to 32.6x10.5

Guys that are running the 4 inch superlift with 285/70R17s (which is only .2 inches taller and 1 inch wider then the 265/70R18) have to do major triming/cutting to make them fit. So there is no way your going to run that size on a stock commander or even one with a 2 inch lift.

As for the 255/70R18's, with a 2 inch lift, a proper back spaced wheel and some triming/cutting you can make them work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts