Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Saw some water leaking out of the screw covers on the driver side handle. So I figured it was due to the bad design of the sun roof drain with the blue hose. I took out the plug from the floorboard to do the quick fix I saw on Youtube (cutting the opening at the bottom for easier drainage) but whoever owned the Jeep before me has already done this. So I am not sure why it is leaking. Only thing I can think of is whoever did the fix maybe pulled the blue hose causing it to pull from its position up by the sun roof...but wouldn't this cause water to leak onto the dash? Because its not doing that. Other than that only thing I can think of is a hole in the hose.

·
Administrator
6,271 Posts
@Dyson350; Your water leak is not necessarily the result of a clogged sunroof drain tube.

Do you have anything mounted on the roof that was not installed by the factory?

A light bar or anything of that nature?

It could also be your factory roof rail bolts/screws are rusting out, allowing water to get in - or you could have a bad door seal or a door out of alignment.

You have to figure out definitively where the origin of your leak is - and it can be a real PIA trying to isolate the cause.

Commanders - particularly those with sunroofs are pretty notorious for having water leaks - the sunroof drains are a common cause, but my point is, they are not the only cause. Could also be that the sunroof seal/gasket itself, needs to be replaced.

Until you definitively isolate the cause, you can only speculate - but you can't just assume it's the sunroof drain tubes, particularly in your case - where it seems like that issue has already been addressed.

There can be other causes as I mentioned above - any of which would produce the same, or very similar symptoms, with water leaking out of the driver's side front interior grab handle over the dashboard.

You may have to go out in your driveway with a hose and just run water on the roof continuously and try to track the source of the leak down that way.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Dyson350; Your water leak is not necessarily the result of a clogged sunroof drain tube.

Do you have anything mounted on the roof that was not installed by the factory?

A light bar or anything of that nature?

It could also be your factory roof rail bolts/screws are rusting out, allowing water to get in - or you could have a bad door seal or a door out of alignment.

You have to figure out definitively where the origin of your leak is - and it can be a real PIA trying to isolate the cause.

Commanders - particularly those with sunroofs are pretty notorious for having water leaks - the sunroof drains are a common cause, but my point is, they are not the only cause. Could also be that the sunroof seal/gasket itself, needs to be replaced.

Until you definitively isolate the cause, you can only speculate - but you can't just assume it's the sunroof drain tubes, particularly in your case - where it seems like that issue has already been addressed.

There can be other causes as I mentioned above - any of which would produce the same, or very similar symptoms, with water leaking out of the driver's side front interior grab handle over the dashboard.

You may have to go out in your driveway with a hose and just run water on the roof continuously and try to track the source of the leak down that way.

What makes me think its not something in the roof like a seal or bolt is there is no signs of water on the ceiling of the interior. I'm going to take it to a shop and also does windshields and have them check it out. I am not convinced its not a seal problem on the corner of the windshield. Whatever it is, I hope it is a easy fix.

·
Administrator
6,271 Posts
What makes me think its not something in the roof like a seal or bolt is there is no signs of water on the ceiling of the interior. I'm going to take it to a shop and also does windshields and have them check it out. I am not convinced its not a seal problem on the corner of the windshield. Whatever it is, I hope it is a easy fix.
Good luck, let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good luck, let me know how it goes.

Will do, this problem really have me stressed out and want it fixed asap. So many potential issues can stem from this, damaged electronic, water damage on floorboard, rust, ect...no idea how I am going to wet the water out of the foam under the carpet.

·
Administrator
6,271 Posts
Will do, this problem really have me stressed out and want it fixed asap. So many potential issues can stem from this, damaged electronic, water damage on floorboard, rust, ect...no idea how I am going to wet the water out of the foam under the carpet.
That's totally understandable and I'd have the same exact sense of urgency if I was in your position.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's totally understandable and I'd have the same exact sense of urgency if I was in your position.
Assuming it doesnt leak more, all it was was the drain hose came loose at the top. $45 fix

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's great news.....you should be pretty happy I'd imagine.
Yeah, main thing now is the water on the floorboard. Its all cleaned up but the foam is ever so slightly damp. I am hoping it will be dry enough to not be an issue at this point.

·
Administrator
6,271 Posts
Yeah, main thing now is the water on the floorboard. Its all cleaned up but the foam is ever so slightly damp. I am hoping it will be dry enough to not be an issue at this point.
This might sound silly, but, I would try just blowing it dry with a hair dryer for a little while.

·
Registered
487 Posts
This might sound silly, but, I would try just blowing it dry with a hair dryer for a little while.
It's not silly, though a hair dryer may not be the best method. The best way to get carpet to dry is simply air flow; a hair dryer provides some airflow, but something like a small fan running over the foam is the best option. That's exactly how I dealt with mine when I had a leak.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's not silly, though a hair dryer may not be the best method. The best way to get carpet to dry is simply air flow; a hair dryer provides some airflow, but something like a small fan running over the foam is the best option. That's exactly how I dealt with mine when I had a leak.
I was going to try this. Was wanting to find one of those little portable blowers that blow hot air but I don't have one. Hopefully this can be done without pulling the trim back up and exposing the foam even though it would probably be the best way?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I was going to try this. Was wanting to find one of those little portable blowers that blow hot air but I don't have one. Hopefully this can be done without pulling the trim back up and exposing the foam even though it would probably be the best way?
Exposing the foam will really be the best way to get it dry, otherwise it'll take significantly longer. Without exposing the foam, you really won't get any airflow across it, and relying solely on the heat given off will end up taking many hours.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Exposing the foam will really be the best way to get it dry, otherwise it'll take significantly longer. Without exposing the foam, you really won't get any airflow across it, and relying solely on the heat given off will end up taking many hours.
I ended up getting a carpet fan and just exposing the foam to do it the right way. Since its cold in Indiana now I just turned on the heat in the Jeep and used a blanket to create a tent to help warm the area up. Only took a couple hours which some fan adjusting here and there. I just hate taking off plastic over and over again to avoid it breaking. But hopefully everything is good now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Saw some water leaking out of the screw covers on the driver side handle. So I figured it was due to the bad design of the sun roof drain with the blue hose. I took out the plug from the floorboard to do the quick fix I saw on Youtube (cutting the opening at the bottom for easier drainage) but whoever owned the Jeep before me has already done this. So I am not sure why it is leaking. Only thing I can think of is whoever did the fix maybe pulled the blue hose causing it to pull from its position up by the sun roof...but wouldn't this cause water to leak onto the dash? Because its not doing that. Other than that only thing I can think of is a hole in the hose.
Mine was clogged... back to back hurricanes after I bought it... pooled water sitting up top when it stopped raining... lots of fun times drying out both sides (first driver's then passenger's). Anyone having luck with trimming the drain at the bottom of the line? Thinking cleaning the lines regularly isn't a bad idea... but limiting the clogs would be best.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mine was pooling in the sunroof drain channel, then sloshing into the headliner when i started driving. I trimmed the bottom of the drain hoses, but was still getting the pooling. I blew out the drains with low psi compressed air from the sunroof downward, and havent had a backup since. I did replace the sunroof seal anyway, just for good measure. It was only $70 at dealer, and i really wanted an extra layer of protection. Only took an hour to do.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Had an issue last night where my headlights and taillights were flickering on and off or just staying on. So i went out to check the switch. Turned it back and forth a couple times, but didn't stop. So I started it up using the remote start thinking it might just be a hiccup of some sort. Let it run for a minute or so and hit the button again to shut it off, but it didn't turn off. So I go outside and put key in ignition thinking my battery must be low. Put key in, turned to run, and them off and took key out. But engine was still running, with no key in ignition. Ran for about 20-30 seconds or so then chugged until it finally "died." Put key in ignition again, started it up and had check engine light with a bunch of other lights on. Plugged in scanner and had a plethora of codes. Did some digging and learned that it could be the fuse/relay junction in driver side footwell. So I checked the condition of mine, low and behold, had water stains, rust, and corrosion on it and the connections. The soonest I could get one(pick up from Summit) was December 18...couldn't wait 16 days so I checked out Pull-A-Part. BOOM...they had a 2007 NO SUNROOF model that was barely picked through. Removed the junction...$13 later, Black Beauty is once again running like a top. Hopefully someone in need reads this and it helps them out, as it did me last night.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts