Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing my front struts with bilsteins. I'm trying to put everything back together, having major issues trying to get the clevis/fork up onto the bilstein strut. I've tried sanding the paint off, sanding the inside of the fork. Lots of lubricant, big ol hammer and so on. Does anybody have any advice for me, I'm all out of ideas. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Is the new strut still off the Jeep? It easier to do it when it's not in the vehicle. Best thing to do it use a pry bar or big screw driver and use it to separate the fork where the bolt goes through (the bolt that hold the fork onto the strut). This will open up the fork and make it easier to slide upwards on the strut. Also you can use a small piece of 2x4 wood and place it at the bottom of the forks and using a big hammer hit the 2x4 forcing the fork onto the strut. It's a tight fit but it will go on.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I had the same problem when I replaced mine. did exactly what 07JeepXK said. I also put a little grease on the strut to help it slide on.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Good idea Matt. Never though of that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately the strut is mounted up, and I'm trying to do this while its mounted. On the passenger side I will install the fork while the strut is on the bench. Thanks for the replies, I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
It's only 4 nuts to take the strut out. It will be much easier with out out of the jeep

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like I just needed to sleep on it, it went right on this morning. I will definitely do the other one on the bench. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow thanks for the advice, did passenger side in just over an hour. It should of went easier, I just put the rocky road lift on a month ago, but I had help. I also added a 1/4" spacer up front to level out the Jeep.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pic of it all done. Bilstein struts, shocks and Rocky Road 3/8" spacer on top of my RR lift to level it out.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts